- ‘Black Panther’ nabs 7 Oscar nominations, including best picture 1 Year Ago
- Somehow Kamala Harris will have to run for president without Bill O’Reilly’s endorsement 1 Year Ago
- Resident Evil 2 brings old-school zombie horror back to life Today 10:00 AM
- Why Culttture came to the defense of the MAGA teens—and what it has planned next Today 9:34 AM
- Logan Paul is sorry for those ‘going gay’ comments—but he still doesn’t get it Today 9:17 AM
- Students who posted blackface Snapchat video leave school Today 9:00 AM
- Twitter suspends account that spread MAGA teen confrontation Today 8:28 AM
- Here’s how to stream all of the 2019 Oscar-nominated films Today 7:53 AM
- Here’s how to stream all of the 2019 Oscar-nominated animated shorts Today 7:39 AM
- In season 5, ‘Grace and Frankie’ turns senior moments into chances to reclaim power Today 7:30 AM
- You’ll love the ‘Bob’s Burgers’ coloring book more than Tina loves butts Today 7:03 AM
- ‘Carmen Sandiego’ reinvents its thieving protagonist as a role model action hero Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Power’ online for free Today 6:00 AM
- What you need to know about DVR on FuboTV Today 5:30 AM
- Spotify will soon let you block R. Kelly Monday 6:01 PM
You didn’t learn this in home ec.
Once you’ve mastered the basics of cooking with marijuana, like making weed butter or baking pot brownies, it’s time to move onto advanced techniques. Weed gummies are a popular choice because they fit in a little bag, they’re delicious, and their small size makes dosing a breeze.
You won’t be able to use your weed butter to make your weed gummies because your treats won’t set. Instead, you’re going to need a little tincture, which is a concentrated extract of cannabis, usually in the form of alcohol.
If you live in a state where medical marijuana is already legal, you’ll be able to skip an important step in this recipe: making your tincture. Just go to your dispensary, buy a few ounces of it, and then stop by the grocery store for your food needs and get started. But if you like doing things yourself, here’s how to make a marijuana tincture.
How to make tincture
To make your tincture, you’re going to need time, weed, and booze.
You will need the following:
- 1-quart jar
- 1 oz of activated cannabis
- Everclear, vodka, or vegetable glycerine if you don’t drink
Step 1: Activate your cannabis, also known as decarboxylating. Raw cannabis has no psychoactive components, which is why you need to cook or smoke it to get high. You won’t feel a thing just from eating a raw nug.
Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F. If your oven tends to cook hot, set it to 200 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and evenly line the tray with your ounce of broken up pot. Make sure it isn’t too crowded so the heat can evenly distribute. It’s OK to do this in two batches. Cook your pot for 50 minutes. If you’re in no hurry, set the over to 200 degrees F and cook it for a little closer to 80 minutes.
When your pot is done, you’ll notice its color will have significantly darkened. Congratulations. You’ve got activated cannabis.
Step 2: Fill your quart jar with your activated pot and then pour in your liquid, leaving about an inch of space at the top of the jar. We prefer to use Everclear, but vodka also works well.
Step 3: Put the lid on your jar, place the jar in a dark cabinet, and walk away. Leave it for at least two weeks or up to a few months if you want an absurdly potent tincture.
Step 4: Test your tincture after two weeks. If it’s strong enough, strain out the plant matter and pour your resulting mixture into dropper bottles. Put some on your tongue, in your tea, or, even better, make yourself some gummies.
Caution: Tincture is incredibly potent. It’s a concentrated form of cannabis with a very high THC level. Use caution with it and be responsible.
- Is weed actually bad for you?
- How to make weed butter without wasting your entire Saturday
- Behold, the best pot brownie recipe on the internet
How to make weed gummies
You will need:
- 1 ½ cups of 100 percent juice fruit juice (pulp is fine just make sure its 100 percent juice)
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin (Unless you’re vegan, use grass-fed gelatin.)
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey
- 3-4 teaspoons of your tincture depending on how strong you want your gummies
- Gummy molds (If you have Amazon Prime, there are plenty of options for under $12.)
Step 1: Put your juice in a medium sauce place over low-medium heat. You want your liquid to get warm, but you don’t want it to boil. When your juice is warm add your tincture.
Step 2: Add your gelatin, slowly whisking it into your mixture until it is thoroughly blended into the juice. If you see any grains keep whisking until it has dissolved completely.
Step 3: Taste your mix. If it isn’t sweet enough for your liking add raw honey, one tablespoon at a time until it reaches your ideal sweetness.
Step 4: Carefully pour your mixture into your gummy molds, cover them, and let them refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Step 5: Take them out of your molds and marvel at what you have created. Eat one gummy, and wait an hour. This will give you a general idea of how strong each treat is for future dosing.
Step 6: Store your gummies in a sealed container in your fridge until you’re ready to eat them. For maximum effect, eat them within two weeks of making them.
You have now mastered the art of making your own homemade weed gummies. Remember, you can always take more, but you can’t take back a high you already have.
John-Michael Bond is a tech reporter and culture writer for Daily Dot. A longtime cord-cutter and early adapter, he's an expert on streaming services (Hulu with Live TV), devices (Roku, Amazon Fire), and anime. A former staff writer for TUAW, he's knowledgeable on all things Apple and Android. You can also also find him regularly performing standup comedy in Los Angeles.