- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free 1 Year Ago
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
He’s just grabbing a sandwich. He’ll be right back.
Avengers: Infinity War is teeming with more than two dozen comic book characters. Somehow, the movie pulls it off. But it’s still hard to keep track of what happens to every character since some of them only get a few scenes. Like Doctor Strange‘s sidekick, Wong. (Spoiler alert: Infinity War plot points revealed below.)
Wong (played by Benedict Wong) appears in the New York scenes at the beginning of the film, when Ebony Maw and Cull Obsidian arrive to take one of the Infinity Stones from Doctor Strange. After teaming up with Strange, Bruce Banner, and Tony Stark for a few fight scenes, Wong then announces he is going back to the New York Sanctum to, you know, watch it. He then disappears through a portal. And that’s it! We don’t see him for the rest of the film. Meanwhile, the rest of the Avengers are risking their lives fighting the supervillain Thanos from destroying the universe.
We’ll probably see Wong in the next Avengers film. Maybe he’ll return at a pivotal point. But right now, the internet loves the fact that he decided to stay home and bow out of the fight. It’s the right call.
Memes of Wong peacing out of Infinity War early are all over Twitter this week.
Wong: What you boutta do?
Bruce: Make a call, what about you?
— Casey Dri. (@LeanandCuisine) May 2, 2018
Wong going in that portal home & never to be seen for the rest of the movie. pic.twitter.com/7nT059EYpD
— It’s #DreDay ♉️ (@Drebae_) May 3, 2018
wong vs. everyone else in infinity war pic.twitter.com/XsiM7E5QGz
— maia (@amidalastark) May 3, 2018
— Prince Cazembe, PhD, First of His Name (@TwiterlessGuru) April 30, 2018
— Ted Mosby (@King_Velarde) May 1, 2018
Wong during the fight scene in Infinity War https://t.co/matxMtnYm5
— infinity war really changed lives (@itsjakeke) April 30, 2018
People are also using a promo photo of Wong as a meme. If someone invites you to a sit-down birthday dinner or asks you to do something else that you want to get out of, simply pull a Wong and disappear.
"Hey I'm celebrating my birthday at a restaurant. You're invited!"
— David Dennis Jr. (@DavidDTSS) May 1, 2018
“sorry I missed your texts just woke up” pic.twitter.com/f7nArdvrEK
— sreekar (@sreekyshooter) May 1, 2018
Bouncer: “It’s gonna be 20 at the door fellas”
— Black Kevin Arnold (@bnease) April 30, 2018
Wong may be the most relatable hero in Infinity War. Trouble begins and he gets the hell out of Dodge. Maybe he needs his own film?
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.