- Netflix is bringing a teen lesbian rom-com to our screens 12 Months Ago
- Which direwolves are left in ‘Game of Thrones’? 12 Months Ago
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere brings no spoilers, but plenty of emotion 12 Months Ago
- Kamala Harris calls on House to begin impeachment proceeding against Trump Today 8:46 AM
- Twitch kills ‘Joy of Sex’ category—and gamers are furious Today 8:19 AM
- The best Mother’s Day gifts and gadgets for high-tech moms Today 7:30 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Music Teacher’ is another lifeless melodrama about an emotionally illiterate man Today 6:45 AM
- 3 things we saw at the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere Today 6:30 AM
- How to use Google Home Hub as a digital photo frame Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Apple devices without AirPlay support Today 5:00 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate player’s trans flag removed for being ‘political’ Monday 7:37 PM
- Does Donald Trump Jr. know what American soldiers do? Monday 7:17 PM
- Sophie Turner has a hot take on Arya’s ‘Game of Thrones’ sex scene Monday 6:50 PM
- Parked Tesla Model S bursts into flames in shocking video Monday 3:12 PM
- Fortnite is getting an Avengers Endgame event Monday 2:44 PM
The internet is killing off pop culture regulars.
Avengers: Infinity War has now been out in theaters for several days. But some people haven’t had a chance to see it yet. We get it! However, this post will discuss an Infinity War meme that contains a spoiler for the movie. So if you don’t want to know anything about the movie, proceed with caution. This is our *only* spoiler warning.
Alright, let’s talk about memes.
Infinity War is an action-packed comic book movie with so many characters you might leave the theater without remembering everyone who starred in the film. There’s almost too much material for memes. Many of the jokes around Infinity War involve Thanos, the supervillain who seeks all six Infinity Stones over the course of the film. But one specific Infinity War meme is dominating the internet right now, and it involves making characters in pop culture turn into dust.
Here’s Fraiser disappearing:
— Jack Buckerberg (@buckleyjack) April 30, 2018
Here’s Bob Hoskins, as Mario, starting to disintegrate:
— Ian Patterson (@Ian_Patterson_1) May 1, 2018
No, not Crash Bandicoot!
oh Fuck pic.twitter.com/yNnAwzarAT
— brandon [104/300] (@SHININGWlZARD) April 29, 2018
If you’ve seen Infinity War, you know why everyone is slowing turning into dust. It happens to several main characters at the end of the movie once Thanos collects all the stones and erases half of the population in the universe. Several of the memes that mimic the effect in the movie (using Photoshop tools) include the caption, “I don’t feel so good,” which is an emotional line uttered by one of the characters as he turns into dust. (I’m not crying. You’re crying.)
“Like Scoob, I don’t feel so good” pic.twitter.com/V5DWaPnAqB
— V.RI (@VanillaRiceYT) April 30, 2018
“Heh, you know I had to…. huh… I don’t think I can do it to em…. I don’t feel so good… oh god…” pic.twitter.com/nYpLAOgqeP
— j™ (@bonjourlapeen) May 1, 2018
— COOPER (@RLC_3) April 30, 2018
"Superintendent, I don't feel so good." pic.twitter.com/3XeOXHctp5
— Ice (@IceSeason101) April 30, 2018
The ’90s-era Microsoft Windows logo predicted its own fate:
bill, i don't feel so good… pic.twitter.com/p3M21nU4rO
— T9 (@Thafnine) May 1, 2018
The Infinity War meme has endless uses; just pick an image and Photoshop it to make it look like the subject in it is slowly disintegrating. The internet was turning images of characters and people into dust for memes before Infinity War was released. According to Know Your Meme, “particle dispersion effect” memes took off a year ago. This meme just got another life, and we hope we’ll be able to say the same for several of the Marvel characters who turned into dust in Infinity War.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.