- How to stream Artem Lobov vs. Jason Knight in BKFC 3 Weeks Ago
- Lizzo sued by Postmates runner she accused of stealing her food 3 Weeks Ago
- How to stream Jan Blachowicz vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza on UFC Fight Night Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Georgia vs. Auburn live Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Navy vs. Notre Dame live Today 3:30 AM
- The actor who played Greedo is just as confused by ‘maclunkey’ as you are Friday 4:57 PM
- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop Friday 4:24 PM
- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here Friday 4:04 PM
- Facebook copies Instagram with experimental ‘Popular Photos’ feature Friday 3:58 PM
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked Friday 2:43 PM
- ‘Marvel’s Hero Project’ is the wholesome content 2019 needs Friday 2:40 PM
- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search Friday 2:09 PM
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban Friday 2:06 PM
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself Friday 1:52 PM
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher Friday 1:42 PM
The Jenner-Kardashian clan is one of the most meme-able families ever, and Kylie Jenner is no exception. All it took was her singing three words for her to become the hottest new Twitter meme. “Rise and shine” is literally everywhere.
What is the ‘Rise and Shine’ meme?
It all started in early October when Jenner posted an “office tour” vlog on her YouTube channel. In the video, Jenner took her viewers on a virtual tour of her Kylie Cosmetics office, stopping by her daughter Stormi’s playroom in the process. There, she decided to wake Stormi up from a nap by crooning “riiise and shiiine” in just… the most awkward way possible.
Naturally, Twitter immediately had a field day with the clip. Plain reactions quickly gave way to masterfully edited memes.
4:12 am and this is sending me pic.twitter.com/cGSaDazzA4— c (@christinajuuI) October 13, 2019
Ok but do y’all hate me yet pic.twitter.com/W3i6Z6y4CO— lil level up 👻 (@levelupdub) October 16, 2019
im living for these rise and shine memes pic.twitter.com/nlwPAfqeZs— spooky chloe ; follow limit (@LACHlMOLALA) October 18, 2019
‘Rise and Shine’ TikToks
Before long, the audio was making its way around TikTok as a full-blown phenomenon.
Even several high-profile celebrities joined in on the fun—including Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, and, for some reason, Jenner’s ex, Tyga.
NOT ARIANA DOING THE KYLIE SINGING SHSKSDHKDJDJD pic.twitter.com/ozTCyQ26XZ— ً (@vminsrem) October 16, 2019
Jenner trademarks ‘Rise and Shine’
Meanwhile, Jenner’s been making moves amid all the growing hype—just days after going viral, the makeup mogul managed to trademark the phrase “rise and shine” for cosmetics along with, according to TMZ, “belts, pants, coats, dresses, footwear, gloves, headbands, headwear, jackets, loungewear, scarves, sleepwear, socks, swimwear and undergarments.” She’s reportedly working on landing a trademark for a jingle of the phrase, as well.
On top of all this, Jenner whipped together a couple of “rise and shine” branded hoodies, both of which sold out nearly instantaneously.
We’re sure her enterprising momager, Kris Jenner, is quite proud.
Kris jenner and her team 10 minutes after “ṘḭṠḕ ḀṆḊ ṠḧḭṆḕ” became a meme pic.twitter.com/eHgQ3Ss6Oh— ♡ 𝖂𝖆𝖘𝖘𝖚𝖕 ♡ (@ayepremium) October 18, 2019
Anna Maria Ward is the social media editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on the intersections of entertainment, pop culture, and social justice. She previously contributed to the Houston Chronicle and Orange magazine.