- Andrew Yang upset porn fans with his criticism of Bing Tuesday 10:34 PM
- Kamala Harris really wants Trump kicked off Twitter Tuesday 10:22 PM
- Bernie Sanders jokes he didn’t use medical marijuana before tonight’s debate Tuesday 9:47 PM
- Tulsi Gabbard says she’s not a Russian asset—which is just what a Russian asset would say Tuesday 9:20 PM
- Warren says she doesn’t have a ‘beef with billionaires’ Tuesday 8:59 PM
- Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income plan gets support from other candidates Tuesday 8:40 PM
- Christmas creep is real, and it’s all over Tom Steyer’s neck Tuesday 8:05 PM
- Stans are using pictures of Beyoncé to catfish sugar daddies Tuesday 7:18 PM
- Wait, who the heck is Tom Steyer? Tuesday 7:17 PM
- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
Twitter users went heads “ogre” heels for 18-year-old Theo Karras after his sister Maria posted a video of him reciting a scene from the American classic film Shrek.
Stuck in the car for 2 hours with this pic.twitter.com/nlLb0a1FtG— Maria (@Maria_Karras) July 8, 2018
The video, which currently boasts over 2 million views, showed Theo’s rendition of Shrek and Donkey’s meeting scene and featured his impressive singing and accent skills. Maria told the Daily Dot that he started doing the impressions out of sheer boredom while on a car ride back from a family camping trip.
What’s the point in having a relationship if your SO can’t word for word recite shREK???? Actual dream. Shook. Added to the dream boi list. https://t.co/a78JxdmAi3— Ali (@ahhliikazam) July 10, 2018
Now that’s some quality shrek pic.twitter.com/GPmj2ghL3s— yeontan is my dad (@Tea_withTae) July 10, 2018
The siblings had no idea the video would blow up. “He keeps calling me and texting me ‘WHAT IS GOING IN RIGHT NOW,’” Maria said via Twitter DM. “It’s still hard to believe.”
They initially planned to send the video to their Snapchat group chat with their 11 cousins but posted it on Twitter instead since it was too long, Maria told BuzzFeed.
Idk if I’m upset for becoming know as the guy who recites Shrek😂🤦🏽♂️— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 9, 2018
Expectation: becoming known by making it big on Broadway.— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 10, 2018
Reality: becoming a meme because I recited Shrek...
“He always does things like this. I’m surprised other things I’ve shared hadn’t gone viral yet. We always joked that something he did would eventually turn into something like this,” Maria told the Daily Dot.
Theo told BuzzFeed that he has been impersonating scenes and characters from Shrek since he was young—and that he has it memorized from seeing the movie so many times.
the perfect man doesn’t exi- https://t.co/m2LNzhQUAP— Sophie Meagher (@sophh_ann) July 9, 2018
Someone get this man his well deserved Tony https://t.co/JglvJYIGJ3— elizabeth (@honeyd00ms) July 10, 2018
Theo told the Daily Dot he’s been involved in theater for eight years and plans to pursue a college degree in drama or musical theater. He also wants to start a YouTube video and connect with all of his new followers.
“With all of this attention I have gained I have honestly been quite overwhelmed. But on the other hand I’m super flattered by all the love,” he said.
That’ll do, Theo. That’ll do.
- A guide to the best SpongeBob memes—so far
- Tiffany Pollard is the unabashed godmother of internet memes
- The all-time best ‘The Simpsons’ memes to cure your depression
- What it really means to be ‘Thicc’
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.