- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online Today 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Today 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
Twitter is in love with this teen who acted out a ‘Shrek’ scene from memory
Twitter users went heads “ogre” heels for 18-year-old Theo Karras after his sister Maria posted a video of him reciting a scene from the American classic film Shrek.
Stuck in the car for 2 hours with this pic.twitter.com/nlLb0a1FtG
— Maria (@Maria_Karras) July 8, 2018
The video, which currently boasts over 2 million views, showed Theo’s rendition of Shrek and Donkey’s meeting scene and featured his impressive singing and accent skills. Maria told the Daily Dot that he started doing the impressions out of sheer boredom while on a car ride back from a family camping trip.
What’s the point in having a relationship if your SO can’t word for word recite shREK???? Actual dream. Shook. Added to the dream boi list. https://t.co/a78JxdmAi3
— Ali (@ahhliikazam) July 10, 2018
if the future love of my life can’t quote two full minutes of shrek on command i’m not 👏🏻 getting 👏🏻 married 👏🏻
— jill misses pvris (@ughjilly) July 10, 2018
Now that’s some quality shrek pic.twitter.com/GPmj2ghL3s
— yeontan is my dad (@Tea_withTae) July 10, 2018
The siblings had no idea the video would blow up. “He keeps calling me and texting me ‘WHAT IS GOING IN RIGHT NOW,’” Maria said via Twitter DM. “It’s still hard to believe.”
They initially planned to send the video to their Snapchat group chat with their 11 cousins but posted it on Twitter instead since it was too long, Maria told BuzzFeed.
Idk if I’m upset for becoming know as the guy who recites Shrek😂🤦🏽♂️
— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 9, 2018
Expectation: becoming known by making it big on Broadway.
Reality: becoming a meme because I recited Shrek…
— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 10, 2018
“He always does things like this. I’m surprised other things I’ve shared hadn’t gone viral yet. We always joked that something he did would eventually turn into something like this,” Maria told the Daily Dot.
Theo told BuzzFeed that he has been impersonating scenes and characters from Shrek since he was young—and that he has it memorized from seeing the movie so many times.
the perfect man doesn’t exi- https://t.co/m2LNzhQUAP
— Sophie Meagher (@sophh_ann) July 9, 2018
Someone get this man his well deserved Tony https://t.co/JglvJYIGJ3
— elizabeth (@honeyd00ms) July 10, 2018
Theo told the Daily Dot he’s been involved in theater for eight years and plans to pursue a college degree in drama or musical theater. He also wants to start a YouTube video and connect with all of his new followers.
“With all of this attention I have gained I have honestly been quite overwhelmed. But on the other hand I’m super flattered by all the love,” he said.
That’ll do, Theo. That’ll do.
- A guide to the best SpongeBob memes—so far
- Tiffany Pollard is the unabashed godmother of internet memes
- The all-time best ‘The Simpsons’ memes to cure your depression
- What it really means to be ‘Thicc’
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.