- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All 1 Year Ago
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Today 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
Twitter users went heads “ogre” heels for 18-year-old Theo Karras after his sister Maria posted a video of him reciting a scene from the American classic film Shrek.
Stuck in the car for 2 hours with this pic.twitter.com/nlLb0a1FtG— Maria (@Maria_Karras) July 8, 2018
The video, which currently boasts over 2 million views, showed Theo’s rendition of Shrek and Donkey’s meeting scene and featured his impressive singing and accent skills. Maria told the Daily Dot that he started doing the impressions out of sheer boredom while on a car ride back from a family camping trip.
What’s the point in having a relationship if your SO can’t word for word recite shREK???? Actual dream. Shook. Added to the dream boi list. https://t.co/a78JxdmAi3— Ali (@ahhliikazam) July 10, 2018
Now that’s some quality shrek pic.twitter.com/GPmj2ghL3s— yeontan is my dad (@Tea_withTae) July 10, 2018
The siblings had no idea the video would blow up. “He keeps calling me and texting me ‘WHAT IS GOING IN RIGHT NOW,’” Maria said via Twitter DM. “It’s still hard to believe.”
They initially planned to send the video to their Snapchat group chat with their 11 cousins but posted it on Twitter instead since it was too long, Maria told BuzzFeed.
Idk if I’m upset for becoming know as the guy who recites Shrek😂🤦🏽♂️— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 9, 2018
Expectation: becoming known by making it big on Broadway.— Theo Karras (@Theo_Karras_) July 10, 2018
Reality: becoming a meme because I recited Shrek...
“He always does things like this. I’m surprised other things I’ve shared hadn’t gone viral yet. We always joked that something he did would eventually turn into something like this,” Maria told the Daily Dot.
Theo told BuzzFeed that he has been impersonating scenes and characters from Shrek since he was young—and that he has it memorized from seeing the movie so many times.
the perfect man doesn’t exi- https://t.co/m2LNzhQUAP— Sophie Meagher (@sophh_ann) July 9, 2018
Someone get this man his well deserved Tony https://t.co/JglvJYIGJ3— elizabeth (@honeyd00ms) July 10, 2018
Theo told the Daily Dot he’s been involved in theater for eight years and plans to pursue a college degree in drama or musical theater. He also wants to start a YouTube video and connect with all of his new followers.
“With all of this attention I have gained I have honestly been quite overwhelmed. But on the other hand I’m super flattered by all the love,” he said.
That’ll do, Theo. That’ll do.
- A guide to the best SpongeBob memes—so far
- Tiffany Pollard is the unabashed godmother of internet memes
- The all-time best ‘The Simpsons’ memes to cure your depression
- What it really means to be ‘Thicc’
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.