- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles 4 Weeks Ago
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
It’s the Twitter showdown the internet has been waiting for.
The Friends fandom and the Seinfeld fandom are going head-to-head over which classic sitcom reigns supreme. It seemed like the ending result was anyone’s game at first, but it soon became clear that the Seinfeld fandom was in it to win it.
“Beware. Anyone who tries to tell you Friends is better than Seinfeld is trolling you,” Kate Hyde tweeted.
Beware. Anyone who tries to tell you Friends is better than Seinfeld is trolling you.— Kate Hyde (@KateHydeNY) August 19, 2019
The people saying Friends is better than Seinfeld probably dance like this. pic.twitter.com/gZqXXEuDzo— 𝐍𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐚 ♡ (@heartIessqueen) August 19, 2019
Seinfeld over Friends. It isn't a conversation.— John Pavlovitz (@johnpavlovitz) August 19, 2019
But that doesn’t mean the Friends fandom didn’t make good points as to why it was the better sitcom.
“Seinfeld had nowhere near the comic timing and originality that Friends had…and to add to that the depth of each character and their uniqueness left Seinfeld in the dust ……to sum up Seinfeld just simply wasn’t funny friends was hilarious,” Twitter user @emacm2000 noted.
Seinfeld had nowhere near the comic timing and originality that Friends had...and to add to that the depth of each character and their uniqueness left Seinfeld in the dust ......to sum up Seinfeld just simply wasn't funny friends was hilarious #friends #Seinfeld pic.twitter.com/zkdp1C82VV— The Way Photographic (@EMACM2000) August 19, 2019
Simple equation for y'all. Friends>Seinfeld. Do the math.— Joe Bates (@JoeBates1992) August 19, 2019
The debate appeared to have started after an Australian new site asked its Twitter followers to “settle” the question on which show was better.
“OK, let’s settle this… Friends Vs Seinfeld: Which show is better?” it questioned.
OK, let's settle this... 'Friends' Vs 'Seinfeld': Which show is better? pic.twitter.com/a7hLQfwgpY— news.com.au (@newscomauHQ) August 19, 2019
From there, people all over the globe began to respond, and the debate soon took on a life of its own. After trending across the U.S., the Hollywood Reporter shared an old video from May, featuring celebrities attempting to answer the exact same question.
Even they were stumped.
“It can’t be both?” asked actor Mamoudou Athie from the film Sorry for Your Loss.
But on Twitter, despite Friends fans’ best efforts, the Seinfeld fandom made it crystal clear that the two sitcoms shouldn’t even be compared.
“Seinfeld and it’s not even close. The fact that Friends is even discussed in the same league as Seinfeld is baffling to me,” Twitter user @caseyxnl wrote.
Seinfeld and it’s not even close. The fact that Friends is even discussed in the same league as Seinfeld is baffling to me. https://t.co/HrGGuo42oY— Casey (@caseyxnl) August 19, 2019
Putting aside the debate, this is a big year for both television shows. 2019 marks the 30th anniversary of Seinfeld and the 25th anniversary of Friends. Plus, even those on Twitter agreed, that despite all the prestige and influence these two shows hold, only one show really stands above them all.
“The appropriate answer to Friends or Seinfeld? is Frasier.”
The appropriate answer to "Friends or Seinfeld?" is "Frasier".— Josh Spiegel (@mousterpiece) August 19, 2019
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.