- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
Netflix threw a lot of money at it but Friends is finally leaving for good. (Well, in six months.)
It was announced on Tuesday that the show will officially be heading to WarnerMedia’s new streaming platform, HBO Max, which will debut in spring 2020. HBO Max will also host CW shows (including upcoming ones like Batwoman), and offer original content from Reese Witherspoon and director/producer Greg Berlanti. Pretty Little Liars and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air will also air exclusively on HBO Max.
Friends‘ exit from Netflix has been anticipated since at least January, and another popular show, The Office, is leaving in 2021 for NBCUniversal’s own streaming platform. HBO Max will offer original programming like Dune: The Sisterhood and an animated Gremlins series, as well as upcoming HBO series Lovecraft Country, The Nevers, and a reboot of Perry Mason. Programming from Adult Swim, TruTV, TBS, and more will also be available.
Info about subscription pricing is not yet available, though last month it was reported that an HBO-Cinemax bundle could go for $16-$17 a month.
- Netflix might be losing its most popular shows thanks to new streaming service
- ‘The Office,’ ‘Friends,’ and ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ were Netflix’s top-streamed shows of 2018
- Fans of ‘Friends’ notice creepy red eyes in background of episode
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.