- AOC on opening her DMs: ‘By this morning, it was trash’ 3 Months Ago
- The ending to Netflix’s ‘Eli’ has divided viewers 3 Months Ago
- Teen consumes ungodly amount of meat, becomes meme 3 Months Ago
- Edward Snowden says 9/11 could have been stopped on Joe Rogan podcast 3 Months Ago
- TikTok releases safety videos Today 1:30 PM
- Instagram to label fake news as ‘False Information’ Today 1:28 PM
- A handy guide to deciding which VSCO filter your photo needs Today 12:35 PM
- Mom calls out teacher for painting fake bullet wound on her son’s face Today 12:04 PM
- It’s time to find the right router for your home Today 11:54 AM
- Matt Gaetz attempts to storm impeachment hearing with a phalanx of elderly white men Today 11:17 AM
- Maxine Waters rips into Zuckerberg during Libra hearing Today 11:05 AM
- Chrissy Teigen draws the ire of QAnon fans for criticizing conspiracy Today 10:43 AM
- This Twitch streamer was shocked to discover a fan made videos of all her sneezes Today 9:28 AM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ episode title reveal highlights how dumb episode title reveals are Today 9:27 AM
- Ajit Pai is unhappy states are bucking his agency’s net neutrality repeal Today 9:04 AM
Being a woman is exhausting. And it doesn’t help that men are … well, men. It’s this basic principle that we have to thank for the “Nooo you’re so sexy” meme that’s currently taking over Twitter.
The ‘Nooo you’re so sexy’ meme, explained
It all began back on Jan. 15, 2019, when Twitter user @drowzygf tweeted: “guys r like don’t kill urself ur so sexy aha…” The tweet has since received over 93,000 likes and 19,000 retweets, as it overwhelmingly seemed to strike a chord with women.
The assertion @drowzgf is trying to make here is that women oftentimes can’t even have so much as a serious dialogue about their own mental health without being objectified and subject to inappropriate flirting from men.
To that point, the same day, Twitter user @backwoodbuddha posted a similar sentiment. In this instance, the woman in question shared a text message conversation between herself and an unnamed “guy” who she had apparently been venting to.
In his response, he copied the previous tweet as a supposedly tongue-in-cheek reply. (As she later added: “yes he quoted that girls tweet on purpose it’s a fkn joke…..”) But joke or not—given the reception to the tweet—it seems as if it clearly still resonated with plenty of women.
*vents to a guy* pic.twitter.com/0wyuO4XTnB— mrs. meth (@backwoodbuddha) January 15, 2019
From there, many women began replying to the original tweet with additional examples of unwelcome or ill-timed male thirst.
i’ll leave these here pic.twitter.com/t8pDHnoVIC— karissa (@lollydoll__) January 17, 2019
“depressed? u are too hot to be depressed”— Ines Helene (@inihelene) January 17, 2019
i just - pic.twitter.com/u5P2d3XgIy— 暁 (@hauntinglana) January 16, 2019
As the tweet continued to go viral, however, in the months that followed it evolved into a sort of copypasta meme as others began sharing in more irreverent formats, swapping out “kill yourself” for other actions. At some point, the tweets began to be prefaced with some variation of the word “no,” which is when it fully transformed into the “nooo you’re so sexy” meme.
KnowYourMeme points out these examples from back in June about war crimes and puking into a toilet. It also seems to be around the point in the timeline when the meme itself began to go viral.
Noo don’t commit war crimes your so sexy aha— good idea haver (@Connorkeeks) June 6, 2019
*Me patting the back of my friend whos puking in the toilet*: nooo don’t throw up you’re so sexy aha— 01101101 (@281megs) June 30, 2019
The ‘Nooo you’re so sexy’ meme is back
For whatever reason, the “nooo you’re so sexy” meme seems to have experienced a resurgence over the course of the past week, and not unpredictably, it keeps getting weirder and weirder.
noo don’t drink cows milk you’re so sexy ahah— C🎃LLIN Ⓥ (@collinrenfro) August 1, 2019
noo don't stare into the abyss ur so sexy aha— tony (@sadvil) July 28, 2019
Noo don’t go to grad school you’re so sexy— Takiyah Thompson (@unrulybabyhair) August 6, 2019
People also began using the meme to crack pop culture jokes, as you can see in the following examples riffing off of the lyrics of “Mr. Brightside” by the Killers (which in itself is a meme of its own) and the poem “Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night” by Dylan Thomas, respectfully.
nooo don’t call a cab while he’s having a smoke and you’re taking a drag you’re so sexy aha— 6’11” with horns (@NECROMANClNG) August 5, 2019
Noooo don’t go gentle into that good night your so sexy aha— Hot Girl Brendan Fraser (with a mind for business) (@sug_knight) August 5, 2019
Or this tweet that jokes about the Dolly Parton hit “Jolene…”
nooo jolene please don't take my man you're so sexy aha— adam (@ABBAOfficiaI) August 4, 2019
In that context, the “nooo you’re so sexy” meme actually kind of works in a literal sense? Just so long as Jolene isn’t suffering from depression or suicidal thoughts, anyway. Go on with ya bad, man-stealing self.
- What is White Claw—and why is the beverage inspiring memes?
- If you claim to hate fictional clichés, this meme is for you
- Hannibal Buress looking at this hands is now a meme
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.