- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate 4 Months Ago
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog 4 Months Ago
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Today 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Today 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Today 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Today 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Today 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Today 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off Today 12:29 PM
- Clearview AI client list reportedly stolen Today 11:56 AM
- Billie Eilish’s brother Finneas walks back on tone-deaf advice to young creatives Today 11:26 AM
- ‘Caronavirus’ trends after Trump misspells coronavirus Today 11:20 AM
- Conservative writer claims rape victims, trans people are most privileged Today 10:45 AM
- Colin Trevorrow reveals the title of the 3rd ‘Jurassic World’ movie Today 10:28 AM
- You can pre-order Bloomberg’s ‘not a socialist’ hats now if you really want to Today 10:06 AM
The end of 2019 is quickly approaching, which means it’s almost time to determine the best meme of the year. Even as we enter the start of November, new contenders are throwing their hat into the ring. Like a viral image of a man surrounded by a large number of similar-looking flip-flop sandals scattered on the ground.
The image originated on the /r/Wellthatsucks subreddit on Oct. 27. The image was posted by Reddit user @SirMalcolmK. The next day, Twitter user @theNitinWalke tweeted the image and posted it with the caption, “She: I talk to you only.. * When you check her DMs. *”
‘Man surrounded by flip-flops’ meme, explained
She : I talk to you only..— N I T I N (@theNitinWalke) October 28, 2019
* When you check her DMs * pic.twitter.com/9y8DRH5g4v
The tweet now has 205 retweets and 790 likes. Since it’s spread around, other Twitter users have created their own variations on the meme. It’s an easy meme to create since all you have to do is take the image and add your own caption to the tweet before hitting send—you just need a good one-liner.
Many of the variations of the meme follow a theme of having an abundance of similar-looking items and being unable to differentiate between them.
“When she shows you different shades of pink lipstick and asks which one should I buy…” Twitter user @17_Lame wrote.
When she shows you different shades of pink lipstick and asks which one should I buy... pic.twitter.com/Q01JpDm8zK— B🅰️rle-G 🇮🇳 (@17_Lame) October 29, 2019
Ladies - Ruby pink, Ultra pink, Thulian pink, Magenta, Rose pink, Lavender pink, Creamy pink ke dresses dikhana— Sindhian (@vishy_vishal) October 28, 2019
Men - arey sab pink hi toh hai🤔 pic.twitter.com/d8cLgys8fY
There are also relatable variations based around technology and people disgruntled with their love lives.
“*My trying to figure out which button is the real download bottom*,” Twitter user @DoctorrSays wrote.
*Me trying to figure out which button is the real download button* pic.twitter.com/rcCK1hQ7Nx— Tweetera🐦 (@DoctorrSays) October 29, 2019
Me trying to find out genuine email from the spam folder.. pic.twitter.com/4Lt0Wbk9pg— Keh Ke Peheno (@coolfunnytshirt) October 29, 2019
She : you’re the first guy who has managed to enter my heart— Pakchikpak Raja Babu (@HaramiParindey) October 28, 2019
Me *outside her heart* : pic.twitter.com/MaiKFGvfn8
It’s a photo of a bunch of flip-flops, yes, but its flat and silly nature have made it a viral canvas for content.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.