- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
The internet can’t seem to get enough of Marvel memes. Especially memes that reference pivotal scenes and funny moments from the April blockbuster Avengers: Infinity War. The latest one shows a scene between supervillain Thanos and Doctor Strange at the end of Infinity War. While talking about Thanos’ home planet, Titan, Doctor Strange asks Thanos, “Let me guess, your home?” Thanos responds, “It was, and it was beautiful” before showing him what the planet once looked like. Memers saw that moment ripe for parody, and creative edits started appearing on Reddit and YouTube last month.
There are many ways to meme the “Let me guess, your home?” scene. You can do a pun on the word home, and reference Benedict Cumberbatch’s other roles, such as his turn as Sherlock Holmes.
Or turn home into Homer Simpson.
You can do a “Honey, I’m home!” joke.
A large majority of these Infinity War memes swap out the backdrop of Titan for a different place entirely.
Some people saw other characters in the complicated character of Thanos, finding connections in his sorrowful past with the Lorax or Aang, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Let Me Guess, Your Home? continues to shine with this wonderful Bee Movie Crossover!— Meme Money (@mememoneyafish) September 1, 2018
🐝#meme #memes #dankmemes #dank #dankmeme #mememoney #memeeconomics #memeeconomy #memefolio #memeinvestment #comedy #funny #movie #movies #Disney #Marvel… https://t.co/niw1FW35cy pic.twitter.com/CH1E03oRHK
Earlier this year, three other Avengers: Infinity War memes took over the internet. The first one arrived before the movie was even released. The news that so many characters were appearing in the film led to an obvious meme.
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) pic.twitter.com/D3I4APGSuA— Krevin (@kjfkid) March 16, 2018
The jokes blew up from there. The “crossover” nature of the film was the primary zinger: Think putting all the Avengers in the same movie is ambitious? Clearly, you aren’t remembering some of these examples.
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Bobby Palmer (@thebobpalmer) March 19, 2018
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— ن Juan M. Miller (@Alfachackra) March 20, 2018
Doctor Strange’s companion Wong was also turned into a meme after people began joking about his quick exit in Infinity War.
wong vs. everyone else in infinity war pic.twitter.com/XsiM7E5QGz— maia (@amidalastark) May 3, 2018
Wong: What you boutta do?— Casey (@LeanandCuisine) May 2, 2018
Bruce: Make a call, what about you?
Wong during the fight scene in Infinity War https://t.co/matxMtnYm5— drank in my cup really changed lives (@itsjakeke) April 30, 2018
But it was the movie’s tear-jerker ending that inspired perhaps the biggest Infinity War meme. (Spoiler alert!) After Thanos collected all the Infinity Stones and snapped his fingers, many of our favorite characters were reduced to dust. With the help of Photoshop, people mimicked this effect in memes.
"L-Luigi..." pic.twitter.com/cSRDxSPDRc— Ian (@ianmetaRT) May 1, 2018
Using one of the movie’s final lines “I don’t feel so good,” people ruined all of our days with their depressing—yet somehow still funny–memes.
“Like Scoob, I don’t feel so good” pic.twitter.com/V5DWaPnAqB— V.RI (@VanillaRiceYT) April 30, 2018
bill, i don't feel so good... pic.twitter.com/p3M21nU4rO— T9 (@Thafnine) May 1, 2018
Fans have to wait until May 2019 for Marvel’s Infinity War sequel, so maybe that’s why they’re still overloading social sites with gags of all shades from this massively popular film. Until that sequel arrives, prepare for more memes.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.