- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
After two consecutive critical successes with Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, Marvel Studios is on a roll heading into its next comic book blockbuster, Avengers: Infinity War. But after seeing the trailer, fans are, shall we say, guarded in their optimism. Everyone wants to see their favorite characters from the other movies, but that means bogging down the film with a cast of more than 30 Marvel heroes and villains. One good thing has come of it, though: a new meme that makes fun of the movie’s “epic crossover” format.
It seems to have started with this extremely good tweet featuring the reigning Hollywood starlets of the 2000s:
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) pic.twitter.com/D3I4APGSuA— Krevin (@kjfkid) March 16, 2018
From there, the jokes became more explicit in their mockery of the “crossover” nature of the film. You think Infinity War is a wild crossover? Looks like you forgot about this Disney Channel mashup DVD:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Bobby Palmer (@thebobpalmer) March 19, 2018
Or the time the Friends crossed over with Windows 95.
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— mo’ manu mo’ problems (@ManuclearBomb) March 19, 2018
Or the episode with Magnum, P.I. and Murder She Wrote:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Sohail (@KingOfSunshine) March 19, 2018
Or the Power Rangers meeting the Ninja Turtles:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— J'onn J'onzz (@MustyKonyByke) March 19, 2018
Or Futurama meets The Simpsons:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— ن Juan M. Miller (@Alfachackra) March 20, 2018
The jokes have the same tenor as the old “name a more iconic duo” meme, sparked by a photo of Kylie and Kendall Jenner. Finding funny crossovers isn’t as easy as finding funny pairs of people, but it’s still not that hard. Reaching for a really obscure (but still recognizable) one seems to be the way to earn likes.
Or you can just subvert the meme entirely with a basketball crossover:
marvel: 'infinity war is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Nolan Aurelia (@Nolan_Aurelia) March 20, 2018
Or an admission that, if we’re being honest, 30 major characters is a lot of major characters. Infinity War may crash and burn as a result of its overstuffed ambition, but to say it’s not ambitious would be disingenuous.
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Joseph Nielsen (@Jytook) March 20, 2018
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.