- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
After two consecutive critical successes with Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther, Marvel Studios is on a roll heading into its next comic book blockbuster, Avengers: Infinity War. But after seeing the trailer, fans are, shall we say, guarded in their optimism. Everyone wants to see their favorite characters from the other movies, but that means bogging down the film with a cast of more than 30 Marvel heroes and villains. One good thing has come of it, though: a new meme that makes fun of the movie’s “epic crossover” format.
It seems to have started with this extremely good tweet featuring the reigning Hollywood starlets of the 2000s:
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) pic.twitter.com/D3I4APGSuA— Krevin (@kjfkid) March 16, 2018
From there, the jokes became more explicit in their mockery of the “crossover” nature of the film. You think Infinity War is a wild crossover? Looks like you forgot about this Disney Channel mashup DVD:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Bobby Palmer (@thebobpalmer) March 19, 2018
Or the time the Friends crossed over with Windows 95.
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— mo’ manu mo’ problems (@ManuclearBomb) March 19, 2018
Or the episode with Magnum, P.I. and Murder She Wrote:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Sohail (@KingOfSunshine) March 19, 2018
Or the Power Rangers meeting the Ninja Turtles:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— J'onn J'onzz (@MustyKonyByke) March 19, 2018
Or Futurama meets The Simpsons:
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— ن Juan M. Miller (@Alfachackra) March 20, 2018
The jokes have the same tenor as the old “name a more iconic duo” meme, sparked by a photo of Kylie and Kendall Jenner. Finding funny crossovers isn’t as easy as finding funny pairs of people, but it’s still not that hard. Reaching for a really obscure (but still recognizable) one seems to be the way to earn likes.
Or you can just subvert the meme entirely with a basketball crossover:
marvel: 'infinity war is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Nolan Aurelia (@Nolan_Aurelia) March 20, 2018
Or an admission that, if we’re being honest, 30 major characters is a lot of major characters. Infinity War may crash and burn as a result of its overstuffed ambition, but to say it’s not ambitious would be disingenuous.
Marvel: 'Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history'— Joseph Nielsen (@Jytook) March 20, 2018
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.