- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
- Net neutrality died last year. But the fight’s just begun Friday 1:18 PM
- Kim Kierkegaardashian creator says popular Twitter account ‘speaks to the duality in all of us’ Friday 1:02 PM
- Facebook admits that 6.8 million users’ private photos were exposed Friday 12:55 PM
- YouTube reviewer heads to homeless shelter to critique the food Friday 12:46 PM
- Viral video shows Brooklyn woman’s racist tirade and violent attack Friday 12:38 PM
- 7-year-old migrant girl dies in Border Patrol custody Friday 11:31 AM
- People are losing it after hearing the end of Ariana Grande’s new song ‘Imagine’ Friday 11:28 AM
- Failed Green party candidate was secretly behind this popular QAnon account Friday 11:05 AM
- Dude gets dunked on for claiming Keira Knightley’s ‘six pack’ makes her trans Friday 10:52 AM
- A theoretical tax on Bud Light has infuriated conservatives Friday 10:10 AM
- Tumblr is back on the iOS App Store as NSFW content ban looms Friday 10:10 AM
- Here’s why YouTube deleted 58 million videos and a ton of accounts Friday 9:43 AM
- The 25 worst passwords of 2018 Friday 9:27 AM
Help select the inaugural inductees of the Hall of Memes
Cast your vote now.
Every institution has its own version of a hall of fame, some sort of shrine to honor the titans and trailblazers whose legacies loom large. Don’t memes deserve the same respect?
In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the GIF—who could forget the Dancing Baby on Ally McBeal or the altogether timeliness All Your Base Are Belong to Us?—Know Your Meme is creating its own Hall of Memes. The official induction ceremony will take place at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York City next month as part of Two Decades of Memes, a weekend-long celebration of meme culture with panels, presentations, and interactive exhibits hosted by Know Your Meme.
There’s no site better suited for the task. For 10 years now, the internet sleuths have been tracing the strange trajectory of memes, from 4chan boards and subreddits to weird Facebook groups. In the process, Know Your Meme has become the definitive encyclopedia for memes, and it’s updated constantly, thanks in no small part to its strong community of volunteer editors.
It’s no surprise, then, that Know Your Meme is turning to the internet hivemind to help select the initial inductees to its Hall of Memes. It’s not too late to cast your vote. So pull those dicks back out for Harambe, and pour one out for Dat Boi, too. Whatever you choose, just do it before Aug. 11, using the Google Form below. (Note: You’ll be asked to sign in and select 10 memes in total.)
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
- The surprisingly safe-for-work history of porn memes
- The best flat Earth memes to school the truthers out there
The results will be revealed at Two Decades of Memes, Sept. 14-16, at the Museum of the Moving Image, and online at Know Your Meme.