- Report: Disney yanks YouTube ad spending following child exploitation accusations Wednesday 7:56 PM
- These people are organizing Fyre Fest live-action role-play parties Wednesday 6:35 PM
- White woman berates Mexican restaurant manager for speaking Spanish Wednesday 4:12 PM
- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends Wednesday 3:48 PM
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims Wednesday 3:28 PM
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 Wednesday 3:20 PM
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Wednesday 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Wednesday 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Wednesday 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Wednesday 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Wednesday 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Wednesday 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Wednesday 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Wednesday 10:43 AM
Help select the inaugural inductees of the Hall of Memes
Cast your vote now.
Every institution has its own version of a hall of fame, some sort of shrine to honor the titans and trailblazers whose legacies loom large. Don’t memes deserve the same respect?
In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the GIF—who could forget the Dancing Baby on Ally McBeal or the altogether timeliness All Your Base Are Belong to Us?—Know Your Meme is creating its own Hall of Memes. The official induction ceremony will take place at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York City next month as part of Two Decades of Memes, a weekend-long celebration of meme culture with panels, presentations, and interactive exhibits hosted by Know Your Meme.
There’s no site better suited for the task. For 10 years now, the internet sleuths have been tracing the strange trajectory of memes, from 4chan boards and subreddits to weird Facebook groups. In the process, Know Your Meme has become the definitive encyclopedia for memes, and it’s updated constantly, thanks in no small part to its strong community of volunteer editors.
It’s no surprise, then, that Know Your Meme is turning to the internet hivemind to help select the initial inductees to its Hall of Memes. It’s not too late to cast your vote. So pull those dicks back out for Harambe, and pour one out for Dat Boi, too. Whatever you choose, just do it before Aug. 11, using the Google Form below. (Note: You’ll be asked to sign in and select 10 memes in total.)
- The best memes of 2018 (so far)
- The surprisingly safe-for-work history of porn memes
- The best flat Earth memes to school the truthers out there
The results will be revealed at Two Decades of Memes, Sept. 14-16, at the Museum of the Moving Image, and online at Know Your Meme.