- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
- Kamala Harris’ ‘lover’ says Jacob Wohl hired him off Craigslist Saturday 2:03 PM
- Korean hair salon dragged for turning straight hair into Afro-textured hair Saturday 1:00 PM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. Texans in NFL Week 6 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Browns in Week 6 NFL action Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Vikings in Week 6 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jaguars in Week 6 Saturday 12:00 PM
- ‘El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie’ gives closure to Jesse Pinkman and fans Saturday 11:55 AM
- Zedd ‘permanently banned’ from China after liking ‘South Park’ tweet Saturday 11:50 AM
The endangered silverback gorilla, who was fatally shot at the Cincinnati Zoo after a child had entered its enclosure, inspired heaps of hot takes and calls to action in the days following his death. He further inspired an entire country—not a few voting Australians wrote in the animal as their choice for the next prime minister.
Now, Harambe’s death has prompted a social movement that has reached even Hollywood’s elite stars and activists. Comedian Brandon Wardell and an impassioned Danny Trejo present: “dicks out for Harambe.”
As an added plot twist, it turns out that @sexualjumanji was piggybacking off of a fellow Harambe activist chatting with him on Twitch. @sexualjumanji was live-streaming a memorial for the fallen gorilla when Gabe (aka @weebriel) typed out the phrase that would alter animal rights advocacy for decades to come.
Wardell dropped the gun associated with @sexualjumanji’s initial tweet and sprang into action, tweeting the more concise “dicks out for Harambe” on Independence Day. Forget the potential for this to be a case of joke theft gone viral. Advocacy for Harambe apparently also transcends accountability.
dicks out for harambe
— BRANDON WARDELL (@BRANDONWARDELL) July 5, 2016
In between chanting and pouring one out for Harambe, Wardell caught the attention of Trejo, who has long been involved in animal rights advocacy. It’s only appropriate that the Machete star respond in kind and be willing to lend his voice to such a worthy cause.
Read more from the Daily Dot:
- Minnesota Vikings whip out their spoons for Harambe
- Third-party candidate says Harambe belongs at the Presidential debate
Trejo took to the Upright Citizens Brigade stage shortly after his vocal support of “dicks out for Harambe.” Naturally, he discussed this meaningful social movement, which is just the tip of the widespread support Harambe has seen since his plight from the afterlife gained international attention.
All that’s missing is full-blown action in the form of someone’s dick leaving their pants, going public, and avenging the beloved gorilla, who was gone too soon.
Update 4:42pm CT July 7: This piece has been updated to correct the zoo location as well as attribute the originator of the “dicks out for Harambe” phrase.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.