- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada 2 Years Ago
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Today 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Today 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Today 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Today 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Today 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Today 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Today 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Today 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
After nearly 30 seasons, the Simpsons have certainly had their share of weird moments. Maggie shooting Mr. Burns after his plan to block out the sun certainly comes to mind, as does every single Treehouse of Horrors episode.
But nothing seems to freak out Simpsons fans more than when a character directly faces the viewers. You would think it’s the kind of thing that happens all the time, but the characters are almost always shown from at least a slight angle.
So is a front-facing Simpsons character really as disconcerting as people are making it out to be? Decide for yourself:
is there anything more cursed than front facing simpsons characters pic.twitter.com/vFk3AoKtgj— chess (@butchcoded) February 27, 2018
I’ve always loved this scene. They held it for an extra long pause. The animators are definitely in on this joke. pic.twitter.com/2t36EliqX3— Baby Knees (@BabyKneesCEO) February 28, 2018
I couldn't possibly draw a front facing Simpson's character...can you? pic.twitter.com/LKGnIONOr4— Travis Johnson (@tj1031) February 28, 2018
Oh ye gods. pic.twitter.com/DCimPEBKzh— KeeperOfPork (@KeeperOfPork) February 28, 2018
Some people found this rule also applied to the Disney Channel’s Phineas and Ferb.
On the other hand, a Powerpuff girl should never be drawn from the side.
Powerpuffs aside, in general, most cartoon characters tend to be drawn from a side, or three-quarter view. For whatever reason, it just looks more natural.
If you need want more jarring photos of Simpsons facing the front, there is a whole Tumblr account dedicated to it. Sweet dreams.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.