- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) is currently one of the frontrunners among the *checks notes* two dozen Democratic hopefuls looking to face off against President Donald Trump in the 2020 presidential election. Much of Warren’s current success boils down to her ardently plan-driven campaign.
In fact, Warren’s presidential bid has been so policy forward, that “I have a plan for that” has emerged as her unofficial campaign slogan–which has since been emblazoned across countless headlines, T-shirts, totes, and other merchandise.
She now has her preparedness to thank for becoming a meme.
It all started late Sunday night when British expatriate writer and producer Zoe Samuel tweeted, “When it’s breakfast time, Elizabeth Warren has a bran for that.”
When it's breakfast time, Elizabeth Warren has a bran for that.— Zoe Samuel (@zoe_samuel) July 1, 2019
But Samuel wasn’t done there–continuing to riff off of the slogan with a dozen or so additional funny tweets in a thread that would be sure to make Dr. Seuss proud.
If you're single and you like guys, Elizabeth Warren has a man for that.— Zoe Samuel (@zoe_samuel) July 1, 2019
Making some scrambled eggs? Elizabeth Warren has a pan for that.— Zoe Samuel (@zoe_samuel) July 1, 2019
Do you need to get online? Elizabeth Warren has a LAN for that.— Zoe Samuel (@zoe_samuel) July 1, 2019
If you like to recycle political slogans, Elizabeth Warren has a, "Yes we can!" for that.— Zoe Samuel (@zoe_samuel) July 1, 2019
By Tuesday morning, the joke began to go viral as others jumped in to add their own variations. (Noted there is some overlap, as only so many words rhyme with “plan.”)
Craving something sweet? Elizabeth Warren has a flan for that. https://t.co/m5nMX22iMi— Soledad O'Brien (@soledadobrien) July 2, 2019
Need a post impressionist French painter? Elizabeth Warren has a Cezanne for that. (I’ll show myself out.) https://t.co/eYgMGmUt01— Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard) July 2, 2019
Getting stressed out? Elizabeth Warren has a Xan for that. https://t.co/hRqY1ifLW7— Lauren Duca (@laurenduca) July 2, 2019
In the mood for some louche ‘80s synth-pop? Elizabeth Warren has a Duran for that. https://t.co/JPpovn93s3— andi zeisler (@andizeisler) July 2, 2019
Need someone to be jealous of your Marcia? Elizabeth Warren has a Jan for that. (I'll leave right behind you) https://t.co/UzZJQcDOYt— Travon Free (@Travon) July 2, 2019
Weird Twitter account darth naturally had a great contribution, riffing off of the classic Saturday Night Live Chris Farley sketch.
“35 years old, eating a steady diet of government cheese, thrice divorced, and living down by the river?” he wrote. “Elizabeth Warren has a van for that.”
35 years old, eating a steady diet of government cheese, thrice divorced, and living down by the river?— darth™ (@darth) July 2, 2019
elizabeth warren has a van for that https://t.co/pszRltUXd0
It wouldn’t be a proper roundup without a “Pam from The Office” joke in the mix.
Office relationship not working out? Elizabeth Warren has a Pam for that. (I hate myself). pic.twitter.com/nBTF9AtCFe— CoRY bRanAn (@Corybranan) July 2, 2019
Warren’s policy proposals have won her the endorsement of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee PAC. “Senator Warren is clearly winning the ideas primary,” wrote its co-founder Adam Green in a statement earlier this year.
It would appear that Warren is also now winning the memes primary–as a bit of wholesome Twitter jokes certainly couldn’t hurt her standing at this point.
- Elizabeth Warren calls for sweeping overhaul of U.S. elections
- Warren calls for new law allowing presidents to be indicted
- Elizabeth Warren calls for a ban on private prisons
- Bill de Blasio, Elizabeth Warren call for abolishing private insurance
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.