- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes 8 Months Ago
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
- Disney’s Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries is now on hold Today 6:47 AM
- The coronavirus outbreak has become a breeding ground of misinformation Today 6:30 AM
- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
- All ‘The Witcher’ content you can gobble up once you finish the Netflix series Thursday 7:47 PM
- Tinder adding a ‘panic button’ for when dates go awry Thursday 6:14 PM
- Webcam footage of ‘Bigfoot’ shared by state government agency Thursday 5:47 PM
- Video shows that James Corden doesn’t drive Carpool Karaoke car—and fans feel betrayed Thursday 5:06 PM
In a strange video, captured on nighttime security cameras outside of a home, a Dobby-like creature can be seen funnily walking away from the front door.
The owner of the residence, Vivian Gomez, originally posted the video to Facebook, and then it went viral on Twitter.
“So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out…what the heck?? First I saw the shadow walking from my front door then I saw this thing…has anyone else seen this on their cameras?? The other two cameras didn’t pick it up for some reason,” Gomez wrote on Facebook.
So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out...what the heck?? First I saw the...Posted by Vivian Gomez on Thursday, June 6, 2019
Someone saw the video and took it to Twitter.
“A lady posted this and said she saw this on her home camera this morning. What ya’ll think this is?” @jadynbee_ asked her Twitter followers.
The theories and jokes then began to quickly roll in. Some suggested that the creature, seen in the video, is actually just a puppet or even a young child.
One theory, in particular, set Twitter aflame.
“Is that fucking Dobby?” someone asked.
is that fucking Dobby ?! https://t.co/IxoHhHPA46— jordan (@hayla1116) June 8, 2019
From there, the internet went wild–leading “Dobby” to trend for hours.
“Y’all are so dumb just because Dobby died in the movie doesn’t mean Dobby the actor is dead in real life! Gosh some people don’t understand how movies work clearly,” one user pointed out.
You can see someone in the house stick their hand out the window at couple seconds before the video ends. Looks like a puppet of some sort to me— GLORIA (@daneeisfunny) June 8, 2019
Even if its a normal kid, where the hell is it going?— Raz-Al-Goo (@Piccadhelly) June 8, 2019
Because he’s a free elf— Mother Coconuts (@amberray34) June 8, 2019
OK, so there are four possible theories. Dobby is not dead after all. The video is fake. It’s a small, very skinny child dressed up as Dobby. Or, it’s only an alien.
Let’s just go with the Dobby theory. It looks like Dobby is a free elf after all.
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake
- This guy fixed his sink with ramen—so just how healthy can it be?
- A ridiculous video is being shared by anti-abortion activists—is it real?
- ‘J.K. Rowling reveals’ meme uses predictive text for words of encouragement
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.