- How to watch Estrella TV online for free 7 Days Ago
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
What in the wizarding world is going on with that Dobby video circulating on Twitter?
Dobby is a free elf after all.
In a strange video, captured on nighttime security cameras outside of a home, a Dobby-like creature can be seen funnily walking away from the front door.
The owner of the residence, Vivian Gomez, originally posted the video to Facebook, and then it went viral on Twitter.
“So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out…what the heck?? First I saw the shadow walking from my front door then I saw this thing…has anyone else seen this on their cameras?? The other two cameras didn’t pick it up for some reason,” Gomez wrote on Facebook.
So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out…what the heck?? First I saw the…
Someone saw the video and took it to Twitter.
“A lady posted this and said she saw this on her home camera this morning. What ya’ll think this is?” @jadynbee_ asked her Twitter followers.
The theories and jokes then began to quickly roll in. Some suggested that the creature, seen in the video, is actually just a puppet or even a young child.
One theory, in particular, set Twitter aflame.
“Is that fucking Dobby?” someone asked.
is that fucking Dobby ?! https://t.co/IxoHhHPA46
— jordan (@hayla1116) June 8, 2019
From there, the internet went wild–leading “Dobby” to trend for hours.
“Y’all are so dumb just because Dobby died in the movie doesn’t mean Dobby the actor is dead in real life! Gosh some people don’t understand how movies work clearly,” one user pointed out.
— Wine and tea (@Krazykarenn) June 9, 2019
You can see someone in the house stick their hand out the window at couple seconds before the video ends. Looks like a puppet of some sort to me
— GLORIA (@daneeisfunny) June 8, 2019
Even if its a normal kid, where the hell is it going?
— Raz-Al-Goo (@Piccadhelly) June 8, 2019
— IsseyMiyake Parto (@miyaketakoyaki) June 9, 2019
Dobby has no master
— SharkBait 🦈 (@Isaiah24v) June 8, 2019
Because he’s a free elf
— Mother Coconuts (@amberray34) June 8, 2019
— Kelsi💜 (@kelsi_cg) June 9, 2019
— Pedro Pimentel (@pedrohfpi) June 9, 2019
— The Kurgan (@TheKurgan316) June 9, 2019
OK, so there are four possible theories. Dobby is not dead after all. The video is fake. It’s a small, very skinny child dressed up as Dobby. Or, it’s only an alien.
Let’s just go with the Dobby theory. It looks like Dobby is a free elf after all.
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake
- This guy fixed his sink with ramen—so just how healthy can it be?
- A ridiculous video is being shared by anti-abortion activists—is it real?
- ‘J.K. Rowling reveals’ meme uses predictive text for words of encouragement
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.