- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
The Bernie bros are back.
The Bernie meme bros—and Bernie Sanders memes themselves—are back.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Tuesday announced his bid to run for president in 2020, and with the much-anticipated news came a resurgence of the memes of the senator that the internet has been collecting over the past four years.
Memes were rampant during Sanders’ 2016 bid for the Democratic nomination, and zealots on Twitter were eager Tuesday to flood the timeline with their fondest throwbacks. (Meanwhile, those less enthusiastic about the announcement censored their B*rnie tweets.) From “I watched you Bern” to sad Bernie, some of the most popular Sanders memes resurfaced Tuesday.
Bernie Sanders memes
Bernie Sanders announces a 2020 presidential run AND Citizen announces a tour in the same day? Time to bring back this meme. pic.twitter.com/DnvkIUwDGl
— Efren Cortez 💜 (@Zac_Efren) February 19, 2019
Heard Bernie Sanders is running for president again. And here I thought the dinosaurs were extinct.
Thankfully means I have a folder full of Bernie memes still worth using. pic.twitter.com/6bDziWWbqE
— Echo!Echo (@EchoInbound) February 20, 2019
— Richard M. Castaldo (@Castaldo2018) February 19, 2019
The motherlode of memes, a Facebook group called Bernie Sanders Meme Stash, also revived with calls for donations to the Sanders campaign and (of course) memes, both old and new. The biggest new meme features Sanders as an asteroid, set to crash-land and wipe out the dinosaurs—here as stand-ins for his rival Democrats.
While 2016 may seem like lifetimes of memes ago, it’s hard not to remember the viral moments that colored the senator’s run, like the Sanders-themed reimagining of the Nike logo and the infamous giant Trump tweet that Sanders dragged on (and dragged onto) the Senate floor. Teens especially latched onto memes featuring the independent candidate, and one even made it into Hillary Clinton’s book.
It’s likely that between now and 2020, whether or not Sanders makes it to the presidential finish line, there will be plenty more memes to come.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.