- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
America’s favorite inaccurate political meme son, Donald Trump Jr., posted today about his father’s decision to declare a national emergency to builed a border wall.
Using a Kermit sipping tea meme, Trump Jr. compared his father’s national emergency to the passing of Obamacare, suggesting Republicans didn’t have a say in that.
True story. pic.twitter.com/7rPCYi3IDG
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) February 15, 2019
And now he is being roasted for his lack of political knowledge.
Obamacare was passed after Congress voted on it, the result of an election that Democrats won decisively. In an election in 2016 that Republicans won decisively, they still didn’t pass wall funding.
He’s referring to the bill that passed both houses of Congress, was properly signed into law with a Presidential signature, and appropriated via traditional methods…
— Kurt Geiger (@ketgeiger) February 15, 2019
Ah yes, we all know how an actual law passed by both houses of Congress and signed by the president is the same thing as an illegal executive order that takes money away from paying our troops. https://t.co/PuTgFvYQFV
— Blake Nelson (@Baoke) February 15, 2019
He is also comparing apples to oranges because Obamacare and the wall have (very) different agendas:
Conflating giving people an opportunity to get healthy vs a xenophobic racist vanity project is not only ignorant, its a dangerous thought process. Ask the city of Berlin how well a wall worked? https://t.co/e4FYKvorEu
— Mike Engels (@mike12579) February 15, 2019
It’s also very dishonest to equate a really unprecedented use of emergency powers, an executive action, with something passing through both bodies of the very resoundingly elected legislature.
— Ryan Thomure (@RyanThomure) February 15, 2019
Hey, does anybody else remember when Congress was voting to kill this and their constituents lobbied them not to do it and that's why we still have it? 🙋♂️ https://t.co/Uf19urFhAC
— Charles Ulysses Farleigh III, Esq. (@snarkofthebeast) February 15, 2019
Some are commenting on his intelligence (or lack thereof):
I never thought there was a possibility for a dumber Donald J. Trump than the President himself, but here we are. https://t.co/UQjIZ6jKCs
— robert mueller (@midliberal) February 15, 2019
For those who insist that rich people are rich because they're so bright, just a reminder that Junior really is stupid. Not just "not as bright as your average rich guy" but just stupid. Does he not remember congress passing the ACA? https://t.co/lrojd79qrw
— Morgan (@rjmorgan65) February 15, 2019
This pud is dumber than his old man. We just had an election that President Deals made entirely about the wall and voters rejected it in a record popular vote landslide. Then the new Congress carrying out the will of their voters refused to fund it. https://t.co/xT8RAaDh4M
— The Keystone Take (@KeystoneTake) February 15, 2019
Remember when people thought your father was a billionaire because he was a great deal maker, and now they know neither is true? Enjoy incarceration, Chinless! https://t.co/p0JIwcg7it
— Matt Mann (@ignorethedrivel) February 15, 2019
Don Jr.’s tweet came as President Trump announced that he will declare a national emergency to fund his forever anticipated border wall.
The president will also sign the congressional spending bill that averts another government shutdown.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque