- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
This article contains spoilers for the first episode of The Mandalorian.
There’s a lot of big-name content on Disney+, including most of the Marvel cinematic universe, Disney classics like Snow White and The Little Mermaid, and the entire Pixar catalog. But one particular series seems to have captured people’s imagination: The Mandalorian, a new original show set in the Star Wars universe.
The show’s titular character is a bounty hunter, and in the first episode, he’s hunting for a 50-year-old creature who, we see at the end, turns out to be an infant. An infant who looks a lot like a baby version of a certain Jedi master.
Boomer okay. pic.twitter.com/rqWI9uCIbF— Baby Yoda (@BabyYodaBaby) November 18, 2019
Baby Yoda memes
The internet has dubbed the creature “Baby Yoda”. Since The Mandalorian takes place five years after the Yoda’s death in Return of the Jedi, it can’t actually be him (unless there’s some sort of reincarnation thing happening) but it does appear to be the same species, or perhaps even a clone.
You can check out our deep dive into who the little creature might be, but in the meantime let’s take a look at some of the memes and jokes it immediately spawned.
can not bELIEVE that it took one green 50 year old baby to unite the entire star wars fandom for one cause pic.twitter.com/gY445S08Ir— caro dune | sw spoilers (@classickylo) November 17, 2019
Byebye Madre!!! from dankmemes
Baby Yoda— Jesse McLaren (@McJesse) November 18, 2019
I want to put a baby yoda in you— rob delaney (@robdelaney) November 18, 2019
It’s understandable that the internet has dubbed the tiny tyke “Baby Yoda” as it hasn’t been given a name yet and even George Lucas himself doesn’t know what species Yoda is, or where he came from.
It’s likely the series is going to delve into these questions, and dole out some more as it moves along. One thing is for sure though, everyone who tuned into that first episode is coming along for the ride.
13 Disney+ Hidden Gem Movies You’ll Love:
- ‘The Mandalorian’ opens up its mythology even further in ‘Chapter 2’
- A beginner’s guide to Mandalorians in the ‘Star Wars’ universe
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker
I watched the first 6 ‘Star Wars’ films for the first time, in one sitting:
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.