- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
This article contains spoilers for the first episode of The Mandalorian.
There’s a lot of big-name content on Disney+, including most of the Marvel cinematic universe, Disney classics like Snow White and The Little Mermaid, and the entire Pixar catalog. But one particular series seems to have captured people’s imagination: The Mandalorian, a new original show set in the Star Wars universe.
The show’s titular character is a bounty hunter, and in the first episode, he’s hunting for a 50-year-old creature who, we see at the end, turns out to be an infant. An infant who looks a lot like a baby version of a certain Jedi master.
Boomer okay. pic.twitter.com/rqWI9uCIbF— Baby Yoda (@BabyYodaBaby) November 18, 2019
Baby Yoda memes
The internet has dubbed the creature “Baby Yoda”. Since The Mandalorian takes place five years after the Yoda’s death in Return of the Jedi, it can’t actually be him (unless there’s some sort of reincarnation thing happening) but it does appear to be the same species, or perhaps even a clone.
You can check out our deep dive into who the little creature might be, but in the meantime let’s take a look at some of the memes and jokes it immediately spawned.
can not bELIEVE that it took one green 50 year old baby to unite the entire star wars fandom for one cause pic.twitter.com/gY445S08Ir— ¡caro! (@classickylo) November 17, 2019
Byebye Madre!!! from dankmemes
Baby Yoda— Jesse McLaren (@McJesse) November 18, 2019
I want to put a baby yoda in you— rob delaney (@robdelaney) November 18, 2019
It’s understandable that the internet has dubbed the tiny tyke “Baby Yoda” as it hasn’t been given a name yet and even George Lucas himself doesn’t know what species Yoda is, or where he came from.
It’s likely the series is going to delve into these questions, and dole out some more as it moves along. One thing is for sure though, everyone who tuned into that first episode is coming along for the ride.
13 Disney+ Hidden Gem Movies You’ll Love:
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.