- Review: ‘Star Trek: Picard’ is a triumphant return for Patrick Stewart 2 Months Ago
- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
“I just know Ariana is terrified…” an Ariana Grande stan account tweeted, along with a TikTok video of the teen impersonating Grande.
I just know Ariana is terrified... pic.twitter.com/yOdYniNGjN— fan account (@knnewagb) November 22, 2019
The doppelgänger, Paige Niemann, has become an internet sensation for posting videos and photos of her wearing her hair and makeup like Grande’s—and bearing an uncanny resemblance to the singer. Niemann even recreated two of Grande’s album covers.
According to the Daily Mail, Niemann, 14, was first compared to the singer when she was just 10 years old. She has amassed more than 10 million TikTok followers throughout the years, given her striking similarities to the singer.
Niemann—who lives in California—began watching YouTube videos to learn how to do her hair and makeup like Grande’s. The teen chalks up their similar resemblance to the fact that both she and Grande are Italian-American.
Of course, the internet is freaking out.
“i just discovered that ariana lookalike from tik tok and now i’m scared……but also lowkey jealous,” Twitter user @undopaige wrote.
Others unearthed Niemann’s older videos, in which she looks much less like Grande.
“The change to her is crazy,” Twitter user @kyananzu wrote.
i just discovered that ariana lookalike from tik tok and now i’m scared......but also lowkey jealous— paige (@undopaige) November 23, 2019
The change to her is crazy — pic.twitter.com/S5zzwTnw1e— Kyana Kaisen (@kyananzu) November 23, 2019
Ur telling me this is a lookalike and NOT the ACTUAL ariana? Ok pic.twitter.com/0G35c1xPbB— yves☆彡 (@yvesaintanic) November 24, 2019
This is not Ariana?.. It’s a 14 year old lookalike... Sway, how?.. https://t.co/pzzDeoXRCS— T.J. Suire 🖖🏼👅🏳️🌈 (@TJSuire) November 24, 2019
Even Grande weighed in on Niemann’s video—saying the use of Cat’s voice (from the Nickelodeon show Victorious Grande starred in) coupled with Grande’s current appearance was “bizarre” to see.
“i just wonder whyyyy the cat voice / dialogue,” she tweeted. “i am sure she is the sweetest sweet sweetheart forreal !! but it’s definitley bizarre seeing people blend the two worlds lmao.”
i just wonder whyyyy the cat voice / dialogue. 😭 i am sure she is the sweetest sweet sweetheart forreal !! but it’s definitley bizarre seeing people blend the two worlds lmao.— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) November 24, 2019
Niemann says she’s received hate for mimicking Grande’s look but isn’t letting internet trolls keep her down. Plus, she’s not the only person whose looks have been compared to Grande’s.
“I don’t care what haters say,” Niemann told Dazed in February. “I’m just going to keep on doing what makes me happy, and looking like Ariana makes me happy.”
- Internet freaked by TikTok teen who looks just like two ‘Victorious’ castmates combined
- Art director says Ariana Grande’s Halloween video looks ‘exactly like’ her work
- Ariana Grande’s ‘Twilight Zone’ Halloween costume is freaking people out
NOW HEAR THIS:
How the Teens of TikTok Are Finding Empowerment
Introducing 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST, a weekly comedy show where Alli Goldberg and Jen Jamula (two actors who perform bizarre internet content on stage) have hilarious and humanizing conversations with Bronies, top Reddit mods, professional ticklers, video game archaeologists, dating app engineers, adult babies, cuddling specialists, vampires, Jedi, living dolls, and more.
Subscribe to 2 GIRLS 1 PODCAST in your favorite podcast app.
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.