- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
This week on Twitter, we’re talking about animals partying, and not in a “furry rave” kind of way. Twitter user @psthursm seemingly kicked off a new animal emoji meme on Sunday. All they did was tweet a group of animal emoji playing instruments and caption it: “fuck it animal band.” The post already has nearly 200,000 retweets.
In the days since, users have been hosting animal parties all across the platform.
fuck it animal band— dani thompson (@beIicoso) January 19, 2020
fuck it animal class— cam ♡ (@camrynrb) January 21, 2020
📝🦕 📚🐊 🐍📖 📝🦆
📚🐌 🐛📖 📝🦧 📚🐥
📖🦐 📖🦜 📚🐒 🦎📝
fuck it birb band— leozaur (@Leozaur) January 21, 2020
It’s fun. Furthermore, its origins seem to dig into meme lore of yore. The animal emoji meme seems to be a combination of a few individual gags. First, the “fuck it” component of a few iterations derives from the meme of the same name that became popular in early 2019, according to KnowYourMeme. You may remember, for instance: “fuck it, pig on a roof.”
Its spread-out structure and sometimes joyful connotations (animal band!) also seem to take from the ASCII sparkle meme. The aesthetically pleasing meme came into fame alongside “fuck it” in the first few months of 2019, per KnowYourMeme.
me: 🙁— sarah♡☼ (@xkatycatsarah) February 28, 2019
* * . * . * . *
. * . * . .
* * . you’re a firework! *. . *.
* . * * . *. * .
. * . * . .
One notable thing about the sparkle meme is that it got kind of sad kind of fast. And as with the emoticon stars before it, chaos can easily ensue with the animal emoji meme. Some animals play music together, others get drunk together. Others also band together to revolt against the rich ruling class. You know the vibe.
They’re attacking the rich— Joey⚡️ (@joeygllghr) January 21, 2020
fuck it animals robbing a bank— 𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔢𝔯𝔱 🦇 (@styxboots) January 20, 2020
they’re going extinct due to climate apocalypse— @ degenerate (@oxidedox) January 21, 2020
Overall, the animal emoji meme isn’t strictly sunny like the fun of “fuck it animal band” implies. But it’s not always as dark as the “eat the rich” tweets suggest. It takes the flexible formats of memes before it. It encourages Twitter users to both jam with friends and fight against fascism. And that, right there, is the animal dream.
Felix Kalvesmaki is a second-year student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern for the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in Input magazine, Teen Vogue, and on Texas NPR station KERA.