- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
The second half of Star Trek: Discovery‘s first season begins on Sunday, Jan. 7, in the U.S. and Canada, and Monday, Jan. 8, everywhere else. Unlike previous Star Trek shows, this one won’t be airing on network TV. So, where can you watch it?
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery in the U.S.
To the displeasure of many American fans, Discovery is only available on CBS All Access in the U.S. This is CBS’s online streaming service, and it costs $5.99 per month with commercials or $9.99 per month without commercials. New episodes will appear weekly on All Access for the final six episodes of season 1.
On Jan. 4, Amazon announced that it added CBS All Access as a subscription service for Amazon Prime members. It won’t save you any money, but watching through Amazon might be more convenient than using the CBS All Access app. While Amazon has offered premium channel subscriptions like Starz and HBO for some time, CBS All Access is its first streaming service for local broadcast TV.
Right now Amazon is offering only the ad-free $9.99 tier of the channel, but Variety reports it will add the $5.99 option later.
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery in Canada
In Canada, new Star Trek: Discovery episodes will air weekly on the sci-fi channels Space (in English) and Z (in French). Online streamers can watch on CraveTV.
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery internationally
International viewers can see new episodes on Netflix “within 24 hours” of the U.S. release. Netflix will distribute Discovery to 188 countries, so it’s a simple matter of searching “Star Trek: Discovery” on your Netflix account to make sure it’s listed in your country. The show will arrive at 9am CET on Netflix, just a few hours after it airs in the U.S.
System error: launch time is set for 8am BST / 9am CET.— Star Trek: Discovery (@StarTrekNetflix) September 22, 2017
If you’re an American who wants to dodge that CBS All Access charge by accessing foreign Netflix through a proxy, you may want to reconsider. Netflix recently updated the site to block international proxies, so it’s harder to cheat the system.
- 9 Klingon episodes to watch on Netflix before Star Trek: Discovery
- Everything we know about Star Trek: Discovery so far
- What you need to know about Klingon culture before ‘Star Trek: Discovery’
CBS, meanwhile, is doing its level best to make sure no spoilers leak out—and to force people to sign up for All Access.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor