- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Vanity Fair‘s behind-the-scenes video previewing its new The Force Awakens photoshoot is essential viewing for every Star Wars fan. Not only does it give us a fresh look at the main cast, but it reveals the actor behind the lightsaber-wielding menace Kylo Ren.
In what has become a tradition for Star Wars movies, renowned photographer Annie Leibovitz visited the sets of J.J. Abrams‘ The Force Awakens to photograph the cast for Vanity Fair, creating a cover that went viral as soon as it was posted on Twitter last night. But this photo was just the tip of the iceberg.
Although you’ll have to buy the magazine to see the full photoshoot, a short behind-the-scenes video has already shown us some brand-new material from the Star Wars set. Most importantly, we now know that Girls star Adam Driver is the man behind the mask of Kylo Ren, the black-clad Sith lord with the controversial crossguard lightsaber.
The video also shows Academy Award-winner Lupita Nyong’o filming a scene with motion-capture dots on her face, confirming a rumor that she was playing a CGI character, although the identity of the character has not yet been revealed.
Leibovitz chatted with J.J. Abrams, Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega on the desert set for the planet Jakku, snapping the already-iconic image of Han Solo, Chewbacca, Rey, and Finn in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon.
The Vanity Fair issue with this photoshoot will hit newsstands on May 12, revealing plenty of brand new Star Wars details including a photo of Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie‘s character. Vanity Fair will post a larger preview of its photoshoot at 8am.
Screengrab via Vanity Fair
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor