- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
Vanity Fair‘s behind-the-scenes video previewing its new The Force Awakens photoshoot is essential viewing for every Star Wars fan. Not only does it give us a fresh look at the main cast, but it reveals the actor behind the lightsaber-wielding menace Kylo Ren.
In what has become a tradition for Star Wars movies, renowned photographer Annie Leibovitz visited the sets of J.J. Abrams‘ The Force Awakens to photograph the cast for Vanity Fair, creating a cover that went viral as soon as it was posted on Twitter last night. But this photo was just the tip of the iceberg.
Although you’ll have to buy the magazine to see the full photoshoot, a short behind-the-scenes video has already shown us some brand-new material from the Star Wars set. Most importantly, we now know that Girls star Adam Driver is the man behind the mask of Kylo Ren, the black-clad Sith lord with the controversial crossguard lightsaber.
The video also shows Academy Award-winner Lupita Nyong’o filming a scene with motion-capture dots on her face, confirming a rumor that she was playing a CGI character, although the identity of the character has not yet been revealed.
Leibovitz chatted with J.J. Abrams, Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega on the desert set for the planet Jakku, snapping the already-iconic image of Han Solo, Chewbacca, Rey, and Finn in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon.
The Vanity Fair issue with this photoshoot will hit newsstands on May 12, revealing plenty of brand new Star Wars details including a photo of Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie‘s character. Vanity Fair will post a larger preview of its photoshoot at 8am.
Screengrab via Vanity Fair
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor