- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays 6 Years Ago
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights 6 Years Ago
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ 6 Years Ago
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Today 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Today 10:44 AM
- Despite changes, the YouTube 2019 Rewind video is still massively disliked Today 10:11 AM
- ‘Home for Christmas’ brings a needed sharp edge to Christmas rom-com season Today 10:07 AM
- Joe Biden seemingly called a voter ‘fat’—but his campaign denies it Today 9:30 AM
- The decade in internet scamming Today 9:00 AM
- Bernie Sanders unveils ‘high-speed internet for all’ plan Today 8:59 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
‘Baffling’ balloon experiment explained by best dad ever
A balloon, a plumb bob, and a van make for a quick and fun science experiment.
Destin spends his work days testing missiles for the U.S. military, which basically means blowing stuff up for the sake of science. But in his off time, the sandy-haired engineer teaches his adorable kids the weird wonders of the physical universe. And luckily for us, he films the results and posts them to his hugely successful YouTube channel, SmarterEveryDay.
In his latest video, Destin, who won’t reveal his last name so his kids can maintain some privacy, employs a plumb bob, a helium balloon, and a grungy old van to edifying effect.
Why does the balloon move forward when the van accelerates, while the plumb bob swings backward?
For the same reason his two kids—one with a digital camera strapped to his head, the other sporting a pair of mud-covered cowboy boots—are breathing in just a tad more oxygen while they sit in the back seat.
Best. Dad. Ever.
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.