- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ delivers a powerfully political episode Thursday 8:30 PM
- Bowser is taking over Nintendo—and the memes make themselves Thursday 7:02 PM
- California aims to strengthen data breach notification law Thursday 5:37 PM
- Feds say college student operated drug business through gaming app Thursday 4:36 PM
- Trump is again using old videos to claim his border wall is ‘under construction Thursday 4:05 PM
- Laura Loomer led a second protest at Twitter yesterday Thursday 3:37 PM
- The eyes have it in these ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ memes Thursday 2:13 PM
- Facebook let advertisers target users interested in infamous Nazis Thursday 1:58 PM
- Dem senator promises to put net neutrality on the ‘political hot seat’ in coming months Thursday 1:28 PM
- Someone figured out that Toothless from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ looks just like Bulbasaur Thursday 12:44 PM
- Disturbing Snapchat video shows 17-year-old throwing dog on trampoline Thursday 12:16 PM
- How to watch the new Bon Appetit channel for free Thursday 12:03 PM
- Eminem disses Netflix for canceling ‘The Punisher’ Thursday 11:50 AM
- Florida prisons sued for depriving inmates of music they paid for Thursday 11:36 AM
- Chris Hemsworth will become Hulk Hogan for Netflix biopic Thursday 11:29 AM
Quit playing games with our hearts.
The first trailer for Avengers: Endgame dropped this morning, and fans are busy analyzing each scene carefully. In the 2-minute-and-25-second teaser, we see the remaining members of the Avengers—those who survived Thanos’ snap that erased half of the population—mouring the loss of several friends. One scene, though, stood out to several people on Twitter: a graphic that shows Shuri, T’Challa’s tech wiz sister, as “missing.”
Earlier this year, the Russo Brothers, who directed both Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, refused to confirm whether or not Shuri was turned to dust. Angela Bassett, who played Shuri’s mother Ramonda in this year’s Black Panther, said in an interview that she believed Shuri survived. But the graphic in the trailer shows otherwise.
The teaser trailer, of course, could be intentionally misleading fans. For all we know, Shuri is alive. But that didn’t stop people on Twitter from freaking out at the possibility that the beloved character was gone.
SHURI’S FACE IS THERE AND THEN SWITCHES TO PETER’S FACE. YA’LL SHURI DIED IN THE SNAP????? pic.twitter.com/R5A7YIbwdF
— merry CHRISmas (@marvelunsolved) December 7, 2018
SHURI DIDNT SURVIVE THE SNAP pic.twitter.com/5Fu2rRf0Ga
— jerry (@tonydaisyy) December 7, 2018
-tony is on the verge of dying in a spaceship all by himself
-thor blames himself for the death of literally half the universe
-shuri is gone
-hawkeye has turned into a merciless killer after his family most likely died with the snap
— gabi (@harleivy) December 7, 2018
WHY IS SHURI UP THERE 911- pic.twitter.com/agRFXtcrS8
— 𝙺𝚊𝚝𝚎 | 𝟾 (@gloomboyloki) December 7, 2018
THE RUSSOS BETTER FUCKING EXPLAIN THEMSLEVES WHY THE FUCK DID SHURI DIE WHAT THE FUCK pic.twitter.com/m0JHkzvRvv
— cal (@tomothyholland) December 7, 2018
— ℐ (@cosmiqueer) December 7, 2018
— Holly (@Hollykach00) December 7, 2018
Scott Lang, aka Ant-Man, is also shown as “missing” in the same graphic in the trailer, but he returns at the very end of the trailer. So maybe that means Shuri is just missing as well, and not actually gone. We’ll have to wait until April 26 to find out.
— Russo Brothers (@Russo_Brothers) December 7, 2018
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.