- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
Warning: This story contains major spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War.
Infinity War leaves MCU canon in kind of a weird place. Half the characters in the franchise are dead, but aside from the handful of heroes who disappeared onscreen, everyone else remains a mystery. In a new interview with Huffington Post, the Russo Brothers answered some questions about who lived and who died offscreen.
Betty Ross, Liv Tyler’s character from The Incredible Hulk? “Gone,” says Joe Russo. Not a huge surprise, since the last Hulk movie is barely considered to be part of the MCU. Given the already massive cast for Avengers 4, there’s no reason to rehire Liv Tyler for a role most people don’t remember.
Peter Parker’s Aunt May survived, while Thor’s friend Lady Sif is dead. Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o in Black Panther), intriguingly, is “unknown.” “She’s on missions,” explained Anthony Russo. “Deep undercover.”
While the Russo Brothers happily gave answers for those characters, some were deemed too spoilery to reveal. Could this hint at some potential cameos for Avengers 4? Apparently, Shuri’s fate is a spoiler, along with Peter’s friend Ned Leeds, the aliens Korg and Miek from Thor: Ragnarok, and… Jane Foster? Natalie Portman left the franchise after Thor: The Dark World in 2013, and Thor clarified in later movies that the characters broke up offscreen. However, Jane Foster fans shouldn’t get too excited just yet. “When we say spoiler, [we mean] potential spoiler,” said Anthony Russo. So it’s Schrodinger’s Jane until 2019.
As for the TV characters, that’s a lot less clear. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. sometimes feels closely connected to events in the movies, but elements like the Inhuman revolution don’t appear in the rest of the MCU. Is the show bold enough to delete half the main characters now that it has been renewed for a sixth season? As for the Netflix franchise, it often strays even further from MCU movie canon. It’s hard to imagine Thanos having an impact on season 2 of Iron Fist, for example, although killing off half the cast could actually be an improvement.
H/T to Huffington Post
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor