- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
One exuberant ‘Game of Thrones’ fan designed sigils for all 50 states
The state loyalty is “growing strong.”
The 50 states (and some of the territories) already have their own flags, mottos, and set of mascots—even if you can’t name more than one or two of them. But thanks to one redditor, we now have our own set of Game of Thrones-style House sigils.
While we may not have anywhere near the loyalty to our family names as the characters in Game of Thrones, we’ve got the next best thing: state loyalty. Even when your state is the butt of everyone’s jokes, there’s a certain pride about living (or being from) there. It’s in our blood. The rest of the country just doesn’t get it, and they don’t get to make fun of it quite like you do.
Boo-yay made House sigils for each of the U.S. 50 states, the District of Columbia, and four major territories by using HBO’s sigil maker. For some reason, Delaware got two sigils. Limited by the site, there were only so many graphics that could be used, and due to space issues, Massachusetts had to be misspelled.
Chances are, your State sigil just might be more interesting than your actual state flag.
“I either used the states motto, ‘tweaked’ the motto, went by the state slogan, or made a play on the states nickname or popular saying,” boo-yay wrote.
Knowing your state history isn’t essential to enjoying your new sigil, but it’ll make a lot more sense. For example, New Jersey’s sigil depicts a horse (the state animal) and the phrase “Liberty and Prosperity,” which is the state’s motto.
New York’s motto, “Excelsior,” is included in the state sigil’s phrase “Ever upward for the Empire,” the latter part being a nod to New York’s title as the Empire State.
However, when it comes to someone else trying to depict your state, there’s bound to be some discrepancy, but for the most part, people found them to be badass.
With Game of Thrones not coming back until next year, perhaps fans will expand the concept to the other countries. It would’ve been perfect for the World Cup.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.