- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate 12 Months Ago
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
In the wake of James Gunn‘s firing as Guardians of the Galaxy director, actor Dave Bautista has been one of his most vocal supporters. Along with signing the cast’s open letter asking Disney to reinstate Gunn as director, he threatened to quit if the studio dumped Gunn’s script. Now, he’s suggesting he may leave the franchise either way.
With no director and possibly no script, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has been put on hold. It was originally slated for a 2020 release.
Speaking on The Jonathan Ross Show, Bautista dropped more hints that he might not return to the franchise:
“It’s a bittersweet conversation. No – it’s a bitter, bitter conversation, because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn. They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you, I don’t know if I want to work for Disney… I’ve been very vocal about the way I feel. I’m not afraid to admit the way I feel.”
It’s extremely rare for an actor to speak out against a major studio like this—especially Disney/Marvel. Only a handful of actors have left the franchise before their time, usually for financial reasons (Terrence Howard) or quietly and uncontroversially (Natalie Portman). In Bautista’s case, he’s making a public protest in support of his friend and former director.
- MCU Phase 1: The rise of the Avengers
- MCU Phase 2: All the movies you need to see
- MCU Phase 3: Why it’s the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
- MCU Phase 4: Everything we know so far
If Bautista does drop out of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, the studio may decide to recast the character rather than forget Drax’s role entirely. However, would create further controversy around one of Marvel’s most popular franchises.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor