- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard 2 Years Ago
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition 2 Years Ago
- Why everyone is debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? 2 Years Ago
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
- ‘Waves’ wrestles with the family drama and breaks it in half Today 6:30 AM
- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from the impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
Despite objections from the FBI and prominent congressional lawmakers, President Donald Trump authorized the release of a controversial FISA memo authored by Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) on Friday afternoon.
Now, its available for the public to read. In it, Nunes alleges that the FBI and DOJ excluded information from a dossier of alleged Trump-Russia contacts that it was paid for at times by the DNC, thus ignoring its “anti-Trump financial and ideological motivations.” It also notes how Christopher Steele, who wrote the dossier, told a DOJ higher-up that he was “desperate that Donald Trump not get elected.”
It also says that Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe told the House Committee that he would not have sought a FISA warrant without the dossier’s existence, which Nunes alleges the FBI knew to be false, citing testimony from FBI Director James Comey. McCabe left the FBI this week, fueling speculation that he would be named in the dossier.
The memo has been at the center of a political firestorm for more than week, leading to conspiracy theories and a hard push from far-right supporters of the president to #ReleaseTheMemo.
Shortly after news broke about the Trump administration declassifying the memo and OKing its release, Trump called the contents of the memo “terrible.”
“You want to know the truth? I think it’s a disgrace,” Trump said. “What’s going on in this country, I think its a disgrace. The memo was sent to Congress. It was declassified… When you look at that, and you see that, and so many other things. What’s going on—a lot of people should be ashamed of themselves and much worse than that.”
WATCH: President Trump says memo is "terrible"— NBC News (@NBCNews) February 2, 2018
"You want to know the truth, I think it's a disgrace ... A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves." - https://t.co/kdrUxk2XiK pic.twitter.com/LdvAMC388h
The House Intelligence Committee voted earlier this week to release the memo—but not the classified documents it is based on, making it essentially Nunes’ interpretation of the documents. The committee voted not to release a Democrat-written memo refuting Nunes’ memo.
Democrats have said Nunes’ memo is “rife with factual inaccuracies.”
You can read Nunes memo here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).