- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Today 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Today 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Today 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
Video: Protesters shout ‘shame’ at DHS secretary as she dines in Mexican restaurant
She was forced to leave the restaurant.
As she tried to dine at a Mexican restaurant in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielson was forced to leave by protesters shouting “shame” and decrying her enforcement of immigrant family separation policies.
A Facebook video posted by the Metro D.C. Democratic Socialists of America showed the protest in action at MXDC Cocina Mexicana.
We’re in downtown DC disrupting DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen’s dinner at MXDC. The irony isn’t lost on us that this is a Mexican restaurant. Nielsen has led the program to tear apart familes. We are here to tell her to put an end to separating families, to step down as head of the department, and that ICE and CBP must be abolished #abolishICE #abolishCBP
Posted by Metro D.C. Democratic Socialists of America on Tuesday, June 19, 2018
“We’re in downtown DC disrupting DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen’s dinner at MXDC,” the organization wrote on Facebook. “The irony isn’t lost on us that this is a Mexican restaurant. Nielsen has led the program to tell her to put an end to separating families, to step down as head of the department, and that ICE and CBP must be abolished #abolishICE #abolishCBP.”
Between chants of “no borders, no wall, sanctuary for all,” protesters played audio of children who had been recently separated from their parents at the border, which Nielson denied having heard on Monday. Protesters also booed, yelled “shame” at the official, and demanded the dismantling of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Huffington Post reporter Paul Blumenthal tweeted the protest eventually forced Nielson to leave the restaurant.
Nielson on Monday defended the DHS, saying the Trump administration is following the law and not using children as “pawns” in its enforcement of “zero tolerance” immigration policies. Pictures of children in metal cages at detention centers and stories of families being separated at the border have prompted nationwide criticism of the administration’s treatment of immigrants.
“This entire crisis is not new,” Neilsen told the White House press corps on Monday. “It is the exclusive product of loopholes in our law that prevent illegal immigrant minors and family members from being detained and removed to their home countries.”
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.