- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Saturday 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Barcelona vs. Real Sociedad for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 149 for free Saturday 5:30 AM
Video: Protesters shout ‘shame’ at DHS secretary as she dines in Mexican restaurant
She was forced to leave the restaurant.
As she tried to dine at a Mexican restaurant in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielson was forced to leave by protesters shouting “shame” and decrying her enforcement of immigrant family separation policies.
A Facebook video posted by the Metro D.C. Democratic Socialists of America showed the protest in action at MXDC Cocina Mexicana.
We’re in downtown DC disrupting DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen’s dinner at MXDC. The irony isn’t lost on us that this is a Mexican restaurant. Nielsen has led the program to tear apart familes. We are here to tell her to put an end to separating families, to step down as head of the department, and that ICE and CBP must be abolished #abolishICE #abolishCBP
Posted by Metro D.C. Democratic Socialists of America on Tuesday, June 19, 2018
“We’re in downtown DC disrupting DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen’s dinner at MXDC,” the organization wrote on Facebook. “The irony isn’t lost on us that this is a Mexican restaurant. Nielsen has led the program to tell her to put an end to separating families, to step down as head of the department, and that ICE and CBP must be abolished #abolishICE #abolishCBP.”
Between chants of “no borders, no wall, sanctuary for all,” protesters played audio of children who had been recently separated from their parents at the border, which Nielson denied having heard on Monday. Protesters also booed, yelled “shame” at the official, and demanded the dismantling of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Huffington Post reporter Paul Blumenthal tweeted the protest eventually forced Nielson to leave the restaurant.
Nielson on Monday defended the DHS, saying the Trump administration is following the law and not using children as “pawns” in its enforcement of “zero tolerance” immigration policies. Pictures of children in metal cages at detention centers and stories of families being separated at the border have prompted nationwide criticism of the administration’s treatment of immigrants.
“This entire crisis is not new,” Neilsen told the White House press corps on Monday. “It is the exclusive product of loopholes in our law that prevent illegal immigrant minors and family members from being detained and removed to their home countries.”
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.