- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
Stop everything and go play ‘Pac-Man’ on Google Maps
Google’s April Fool’s joke brings back nostalgia.
This year, Google is getting started a day early once again and turned Google Maps into a game of Pac-Man.
Molly McHugh/Google Maps
When you visit Google Maps, you’ll see a black square in the bottom left corner of the map with the Pac-Man game. Once you click it, your screen will turn dark, and the map will shrink down to a few block radius that and you can start playing.
You can play the game anywhere on your computer and control the game with your arrow keys. But there are only a handful of locations Pac-Man will work on mobile. The company provides a large set of clues in the “learn more” tab of the game for mobile players, for example:
- Don’t drop the ball on the eve of your victory!
- Triumph is délicieux.
- Does a Galaxian bonus await at the top of those 272 steps?
- Chomp your way to independence down seven lanes of July.
- PAC-MAN and Ms. PAC-MAN can’t agree on which side is prettier: the American or the Canadian. Which side do you fall on, eh?
It’s best if you use an area with plenty of intersecting streets. You’ll only have a short time to test out Google’s genius Maps game, so try it before April Fool’s is over. And we’ll be keeping an eye out for any more Easter eggs and trickery Google throws our way before the day of pranks is done.
Update March 31, 2017: It’s baaaaack! Though we haven’t yet been able to collectively convince Google to keep Maps in arcade mode year-round, the Pac-Man stunt has made a repeat appearance again for April Fools Day. Go play while you can!
H/T Kotaku | Photo via Selena Larson/Google Maps
Selena Larson is a technology reporter based in San Francisco who writes about the intersection of technology and culture. Her work explores new technologies and the way they impact industries, human behavior, and security and privacy. Since leaving the Daily Dot, she's reported for CNN Money and done technical writing for cybersecurity firm Dragos.