- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in May 2019 3 Years Ago
- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
- 8 essentials every grad needs to succeed as an adult Wednesday 1:00 PM
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby Wednesday 12:54 PM
- People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat Wednesday 12:14 PM
- Why are conservatives so obsessed with cargo shorts? Wednesday 11:46 AM
- How to transfer your Nintendo Switch save data Wednesday 11:45 AM
A new Chrome extension called ‘Go F*cking Work’ refuses to let you get distracted
It’s harsh, but necessary.
Stop me if this sounds familiar: You open a Google doc to write something for work when—ding!—”Laura liked your Facebook status.” You click over to your Facebook tab, then click on the alert to read Laura’s comment and admire your status once more. “Okay,” you tell yourself, “back to work.” You raise a pointed index finger to begin the first paragraph when—ding!—Bobby sent you an instant message. He just went through a breakup and you should be there for him. So you shift over to your chat client to comfort him, completely ignoring your work task for another 20 minutes. You may be a good friend, but you’re blowing it at work. Luckily, there’s something that can help.
Go Fucking Work is a Chrome extension designed to keep you away from distracting websites and keep your eye on the prize. When you install the extension, you can enter in any sites that you feel distract you on a regular basis, and if you try to visit them, you’ll get yelled at by your browser instead.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Etsy, and the like can wait until after hours.
It’s unfair to assume that you work every moment of every work day. Sometimes you need to consume some inane media before getting back in the game. Go Fucking Work allows you to temporarily disable it, but that’s obviously not the fucking point of it. (Sorry.)
The extension’s creator, Alex Lam, is surprised by how his harsh but necessary project has taken off. He writes on Product Hunt:
Fuck. Was not expecting this to blow up!
I was feeling unproductive, so instead of working, I made a website blocker to shout expletives at me. There are tons of blockers out there but none that shouted at me for wasting time.
Hopefully my procrastinating helps you be more productive. Love all the feedback – please keep it coming!
Alright, back to work now. That is, after you share this link on Facebook.
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.