- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee 4 Years Ago
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Today 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Today 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
Stop me if this sounds familiar: You open a Google doc to write something for work when—ding!—”Laura liked your Facebook status.” You click over to your Facebook tab, then click on the alert to read Laura’s comment and admire your status once more. “Okay,” you tell yourself, “back to work.” You raise a pointed index finger to begin the first paragraph when—ding!—Bobby sent you an instant message. He just went through a breakup and you should be there for him. So you shift over to your chat client to comfort him, completely ignoring your work task for another 20 minutes. You may be a good friend, but you’re blowing it at work. Luckily, there’s something that can help.
Go Fucking Work is a Chrome extension designed to keep you away from distracting websites and keep your eye on the prize. When you install the extension, you can enter in any sites that you feel distract you on a regular basis, and if you try to visit them, you’ll get yelled at by your browser instead.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Etsy, and the like can wait until after hours.
It’s unfair to assume that you work every moment of every work day. Sometimes you need to consume some inane media before getting back in the game. Go Fucking Work allows you to temporarily disable it, but that’s obviously not the fucking point of it. (Sorry.)
The extension’s creator, Alex Lam, is surprised by how his harsh but necessary project has taken off. He writes on Product Hunt:
Fuck. Was not expecting this to blow up!
I was feeling unproductive, so instead of working, I made a website blocker to shout expletives at me. There are tons of blockers out there but none that shouted at me for wasting time.
Hopefully my procrastinating helps you be more productive. Love all the feedback – please keep it coming!
Alright, back to work now. That is, after you share this link on Facebook.
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.