- Three ways to secure your Nest cameras 3 Years Ago
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters 3 Years Ago
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
A new Chrome extension called ‘Go F*cking Work’ refuses to let you get distracted
It’s harsh, but necessary.
Stop me if this sounds familiar: You open a Google doc to write something for work when—ding!—”Laura liked your Facebook status.” You click over to your Facebook tab, then click on the alert to read Laura’s comment and admire your status once more. “Okay,” you tell yourself, “back to work.” You raise a pointed index finger to begin the first paragraph when—ding!—Bobby sent you an instant message. He just went through a breakup and you should be there for him. So you shift over to your chat client to comfort him, completely ignoring your work task for another 20 minutes. You may be a good friend, but you’re blowing it at work. Luckily, there’s something that can help.
Go Fucking Work is a Chrome extension designed to keep you away from distracting websites and keep your eye on the prize. When you install the extension, you can enter in any sites that you feel distract you on a regular basis, and if you try to visit them, you’ll get yelled at by your browser instead.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Etsy, and the like can wait until after hours.
It’s unfair to assume that you work every moment of every work day. Sometimes you need to consume some inane media before getting back in the game. Go Fucking Work allows you to temporarily disable it, but that’s obviously not the fucking point of it. (Sorry.)
The extension’s creator, Alex Lam, is surprised by how his harsh but necessary project has taken off. He writes on Product Hunt:
Fuck. Was not expecting this to blow up!
I was feeling unproductive, so instead of working, I made a website blocker to shout expletives at me. There are tons of blockers out there but none that shouted at me for wasting time.
Hopefully my procrastinating helps you be more productive. Love all the feedback – please keep it coming!
Alright, back to work now. That is, after you share this link on Facebook.
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.