On Saturday, a list of alleged ISIS targets was posted on the Anon-affiliated PasteBin account AnonOpParis. The list included the WWE Survivor Series scheduled Sunday night in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as targets in France, Italy, Indonesia, and Lebanon, the International Business Times reported. The posting also called on authorities to intervene and stop the alleged attacks.
But AnonOpParis later removed the list, replacing it with a statement saying that the group would issue “explanations and apologies” soon. The statement also said the group had achieved its goal of “informing the right authorities”—a departure for a group that has traditionally pitted itself against law enforcement. Although Anonymous has been accused of hacking government agencies and has feuded with the FBI over its use of former Anonymous member Hector “Sabu” Monsegur as an informant, the statement claims, “Today we trust you for once, authorities.”
The FBI dismissed the list of alleged targets, stating it has no “specific or credible information of an attack.”
Special Agent in Charge J. Britt Johnson told the International Business Times, “The FBI is aware of reports of an alleged threat that includes an Atlanta, Georgia, venue and event. …We have… made the proper notifications as we continue to work closely with our law-enforcement and private-sector partners to keep our community safe.”
The WWE said it would boost security during the Survivor Series in response to the allegations from AnonOpParis.
Meanwhile, Anonymous distanced itself from the list of alleged targets in a series of tweets:
Take all rumors of possible future ISIS attacks with a grain of salt.— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
We did not spread any rumors about possible future ISIS attacks, and frankly, we do not know where the rumors come from.— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
Tinfoil, tinfoil everywhere— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
This account did not tweet about possible future ISIS attacks, this is the original post: https://t.co/ZBRy3rPlfA— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
Our last update for #OpISIS We are not affiliated with the operation. Please follow the affiliated accounts and fact-check before reporting.— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) November 21, 2015
The posting of the alleged targets is the latest salvo in Anonymous’ so-called war on ISIS. Over the last week, Anonymous has threatened to drive ISIS offline, released a guide on how to hack the group, and published a list of Twitter accounts the hackers claim are affiliated with ISIS. Twitter told the Daily Dot that the list is “wildly inaccurate.”
Photo via Tim Pierce/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Max Fleishman