- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels 5 Years Ago
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU 5 Years Ago
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Today 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Today 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Today 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Today 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Today 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Today 1:13 PM
- Nevada officials issue warnings for people prepping to ‘Storm Area 51’ Today 12:55 PM
- These are the 8 best fighting games available today Today 12:43 PM
- Pluto TV and the NFL launch the NFL Channel Today 12:40 PM
- Trump: ‘I am the chosen one’ Today 12:33 PM
- Video shows arrest of 15-year-old who threatened school shooting online Today 12:11 PM
- Woman finds massive diamond after watching YouTube video on how to find diamonds Today 11:30 AM
- Up to 20 states are banding together to probe Facebook, Google Today 11:08 AM
Adblock Plus now hides Facebook read receipts
Adblock Plus may technically be the biggest read receipt-hiding app, but is it the best?
Not satisfied with preventing advertisers from knowing what users are up to, open source content filtering plugin Adblock Plus is now in the business of deterring nosy friends, as well.
A new feature added to the plugin gives users the ability to turn off read receipts on Facebook messages. That mean even if you’ve looked at a message, Adblock Plus prevents Facebook from notifying the sender, providing you with ample time to cook up a reply—or ignore someone entirely.
Adblock Plus does this by blocking a single URL that is responsible for changing the read status of messages. Existing users can enable the new feature here.
Blocking read receipts is just the latest in Adblock Plus’ ongoing battle with Facebook content. The ad blocker has also taken on sponsored and promoted posts in news feeds, sidebar advertisements, trending topics, suggested pages, and dozens more. In October of this year, Adblock Plus issued a workaround for Facebook’s Atlas ad platform.
However, the new feature is not a seamless addition for frequent Facebook users who rely on Adblock Plus. There’s no way to temporarily turn on read receipts or apply them selectively for certain users. It’s all or nothing. Sync problems between desktop and mobile may also arise, as the feature is not available for mobile users. A commenter on the Adblock Plus blog pointed out that the filter interrupted push notifications on iOS.
Adblock Plus isn’t the first to set out to stop people from knowing when a message is read. Popular Chrome extension Facebook Unseen has over 180,000 users. Facebook app Unseen (no relation to the previous, similarly named app) also does the job and has around 4,000 monthly users. Of course both pale in comparison to Adblock Plus, which has over 300 million downloads and around 20 million active users on Firefox alone.
Facebook has not responded to a request for comment.
AJ Dellinger is a seasoned technology writer whose work has appeared in Digital Trends, International Business Times, and Newsweek. In 2018, he joined Gizmodo as the nights and weekend editor.