- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ 2 Months Ago
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? 2 Months Ago
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments 2 Months Ago
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
Saturday Night Live combined two of the internet’s most talked-about sensations on Saturday night–it created a Popeyes chicken sandwich, Disney+ parody. And to top it off, the parody featured SNL’s musical guest Harry Styles.
The skit starts off with a group of office employees celebrating the closing of a deal. They are all trying to figure out where and what to eat to celebrate their success.
Styles, who is playing a British intern, is told to pick up lunch for everyone. He exclaims that he is going to go to Popeyes in the middle of a rush-hour to get “like 15 chicken sandwiches.” He also says he would cut the line and ask for the sandwiches pronto because he is “in a hurry.”
“I don’t mind yelling if I need to, even if the cashier’s a woman,” Styles says.
The Black employees at the firm quickly warn Styles against this, letting him know that there would be chaos if he goes to Popeyes, and especially if he goes alone and orders the sandwiches in such a way. But Styles says he must do it.
The icing on the cake? The name of Styles’ character is Robert E. Lee.
“Can we agree Harry’s SNL SKIT for Popeyes chicken sandwich was on point?” Twitter user @HESTAE_ wrote. Another exclaimed that Styles talking about the chicken sandwiches on SNL is their “religion.”
A SNL SKIT. WITH HARRY STYLES. ABOUT THE POPEYES CHICKEN SANDWICH. pic.twitter.com/XfGR6sVcve— evie (@eviie_w) November 17, 2019
HARRY STYLES TALKING ABOUT THE POPEYES CHICKEN SANDWICH ON SNL IS MY RELIGION— ashley (@ashleyfaulds) November 17, 2019
harry can't have a song about watermelon and do a skit about popeyes on SNL—which i legally own—without giving me season passes to the tour. is he crazy— alexis (@AAALEXlS) November 17, 2019
Leave it to SNL to find the perfect way to address the madness that has been Twitter since Peele released Get Out in 2017, since Popeyes brought back its chicken sandwich at the beginning of November, and since Disney launched its streaming service on Nov. 12.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.