- Amanda Holden’s bad coronavirus advice sheds light on the struggle of being immunocompromised Friday 9:03 PM
- The World Health Organization is now fighting coronavirus misinformation on TikTok Friday 8:43 PM
- Police are using coronavirus misinformation to trick people into turning in drugs Friday 8:11 PM
- People can’t stop touching their faces–and the CDC really wants them to Friday 7:31 PM
- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Friday 10:15 AM
It was a big night for streaming at the Screen Actor Guild (SAG) Awards on Sunday night. Amazon and Netflix snagged two awards each while giving Apple TV+ one of its first major awards only three months after it launched.
The Morning Show has already been up for multiple Golden Globe nominations and series star Billy Crudup, who was nominated for a SAG (but lost to Game of Thrones’ Peter Dinklage) and won a Critics’ Choice Award earlier this month. But Apple TV+’s first SAG win was awarded to Jennifer Aniston, making it her first win since Friends was given an ensemble award back in 1996.
It was an emotional moment for Aniston, who highlighted The Morning Show cast and crew, from Reese Witherspoon and director Mimi Leder. She thanked head writer Kerry Ehrin for creating characters “that are so layered and complicated and messy and ugly and just beautifully human.”
“The few times I’ve been invited back into this room over the last 20-something years, it’s been so special, the times I’ve been invited,” Aniston said. “And to be up here is truly an honor.”
Before she left the stage, she commended Adam Sandler for his performance in Uncut Gems, which was snubbed by SAG and the Oscars.
The Morning Show wasn’t nominated for outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series. That award went to Netflix’s The Crown for its third season.
On the comedy side, Phoebe Waller-Bridge picked up another award for her performance in Fleabag’s second season. In her speech, she touched on the “dream” of Fleabag’s dominance at awards shows over the past several months.
“This whole thing really has been a dream,” Waller-Bridge said. “And if I wake up tomorrow and discover it was just that, then thank you. It’s been the most beautiful dream.”
Fleabag ultimately lost the SAG for comedy ensemble cast to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but the show was still on the minds of the Mrs. Maisel cast as Alex Bornstein immediately informed the audience that she voted for Fleabag and didn’t even cast votes for her co-stars.
“Honestly, this makes no sense,” she said. “Fleabag is brilliant. You guys are brilliant.”
Laura Dern picked up another supporting actress win for Marriage Story and gave an emotional speech in part because she was able to hug her dad, the actor Bruce Dern, before coming onto the stage.
“To all you actors, I literally—literally—would not be here if it weren’t for actors,” she said.
- Brad Pitt clutching Jennifer Aniston’s hand sparks all the rumors
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ director Taika Waititi may make a ‘Star Wars’ movie
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’?
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.