- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
There were many who questioned the eight-movie deal Netflix signed with Adam Sandler.
Indeed Sandler has put out a stream of barely watchable timewasters. 2015’s The Ridiculous 6 was met with unenthusiastic reviews, followed by 2016’s The Do-Over and Sandy Wexler in 2017. According to a tweet from Netflix, however, all of that changed with last weekend’s release of Murder Mystery. The streaming giant claims the Jennifer Aniston/Sandler collaboration had the strongest opening weekend of any Netflix movie, with more than 30 million accounts tuning in over three days.
In a tweet fired off Tuesday afternoon, a verified Netflix account announced the unverified viewing numbers. According to the tweet, the first three days following Murder Mystery‘s release saw the film viewed by nearly 31,000,000 accounts.
🚨ADAM SANDLER AND JENNIFER ANISTON BREAKING NEWS ALERT🚨— Netflix Is A Joke (@NetflixIsAJoke) June 18, 2019
30,869,863 accounts watched Murder Mystery in its first 3 days - the biggest opening weekend ever for a Netflix Film. 13,374,914 accounts in the US and Canada, and 17,494,949 more worldwide.
Netflix previously established that a view is counted if an account finishes at least 70% of a title. Anyone switching Murder Mystery off after 15 minutes, therefore, isn’t included. Due to Netflix’s notoriously closed-lipped approach to sharing viewership numbers, we can’t confirm or disprove the claim.
The streaming giant doesn’t follow the same rules as the rest of the Motion Picture Association of America, which were once air-tight. Now, thanks to the rise of Netflix and its streaming competition, guidelines that we used to rely on have gone out the window. Viewership data is released at Netflix’s whim, but only when the numbers are strong. When a hyped film or series appears to perform poorly in terms of social media reach, Netflix goes quiet.
The film reunites Aniston and Sandler to solve the murder of a billionaire aboard a yacht. They are joined by Terence Stamp, Luke Evans, and Gemma Arterton, to name a few.
Netflix did not respond to a request for comment.
- ‘Murder Mystery’ is a refreshingly fun whodunnit from Adam Sandler
- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.