- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
Tom Cruise is a reclusive 56-year-old actor who regularly stars in action films such as Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher, and of course, the Mission: Impossible franchise. Justin Bieber is a 25-year-old pop star who got his start on YouTube and whose personal life has largely overshadowed his music career in recent years.
On paper, these two seem to have little in common, and—unless the latter should turn to Scientology—it seems unlikely that their paths would ever cross. That was until on Sunday evening—when Bieber inexplicably turned to Twitter to challenge Cruise to a fight.
“I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon,” Bieber tweeted. “Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down [sic].”
“Who is willing to put on the fight?” he added, tagging Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
I wanna challenge Tom Cruise to fight in the octagon. Tom if you dont take this fight your scared and you will never live it down. Who is willing to put on the fight? @danawhite ?— Justin Bieber (@justinbieber) June 10, 2019
Weird flex but OK, Justin Bieber.
Right off the bat, it goes without saying that Tom Cruise will never fight Justin Bieber. Not because he’s “scared” but because it seems highly unlikely that news of Bieber’s tweet will ever reach him. (Although Cruise is on Twitter, he rarely tweets other than to promote his own projects.)
Also, it’s worth pointing out that while Bieber does spend quite a bit of time at the gym—as evidenced by the singer-songwriter’s numerous topless Instagram posts—he would never beat Cruise in a fight.
Tom Cruise is well known for doing his own stunts and fight scenes, and quite honestly could probably very, very easily hand Bieber his own ass back to him. (Meanwhile, Bieber once almost got beat up by Orlando Bloom.)
As such, plenty of people were more than happy to remind Bieber of this fact on Twitter:
That 56-year-old could seriously injure Bieber if he wanted to. I’ve seen his stunts. https://t.co/xe6WTnvNc2— Victor Puente (@thevictorpuente) June 10, 2019
Tom Cruise would whoop Bieber’s ass with one hand tied behind his back. There I said it.— DK / Daena Kramer (@justkramer) June 10, 2019
Tom Cruise would kick the ever living shit out of Justin Bieber. https://t.co/MXPuZPzdfI— Robbie Fox (@RobbieBarstool) June 10, 2019
Justin Bieber is 30 years younger and (probably) 5 inches taller than Tom Cruise. I’d bet a large sum that neither man has been in a real fight in his entire life. And yet I would bet a larger sum that Tom Cruise wins this fight. https://t.co/7gjx4RrerB— Ben Hunt (@EpsilonTheory) June 10, 2019
Me running to Twitter to make sure no one actually thinks Tom Cruise would lose in a fight to Justin Bieber... pic.twitter.com/mvhyywwk9C— Jeff D... ark Phoenix (@JeffDLowe) June 10, 2019
Others just responded with jokes and memes:
Tom Cruise’s agent: Hey Tom, Justin Bieber just challenged you to a fight— Krojacica Sudbine ⍟ ⧗ ➳ (@MonaLisa_1797) June 10, 2019
nobody:— Jeremy Woodcock (@jwPencilAndPad) June 10, 2019
absolutely nobody in the world:
certainly no 25-year-old singers to 56-year-old actors who never really seemed to claim to do this in real life, just pretends in movies, nice and fun for us and for him too:
Justin Bieber to Tom Cruise: ᶠᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵐᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ᶜᵒʷᵃʳᵈ
Nobody:— “SUDDENLY” EP ➖OUT NOW❗️ (@KlayeCreation) June 10, 2019
Nobody at all:
Not one single self aware being in the universe:
Justin Bieber to Tom cruise pic.twitter.com/tGBrczrapg
At some point tonight Tom Cruise’s agent will have to call Tom Cruise and tell him that Justin Bieber has challenged him to a fight, this is an actual conversation that will happen https://t.co/D4H9tG27cP— David Allen (@David_Allen55) June 10, 2019
Am I dreaming or did Justin Bieber acc just call out Tom Cruise to fight him? The simulation is glitching harddd— TheNewAdamb99 (@TheNewAdamb99) June 10, 2019
Kylie Jenner is having a Handmaids Tale themed birthday party and Justin Bieber wants to fight Tom Cruise and boy howdy is that meteor late— Imani Gandy (@AngryBlackLady) June 10, 2019
Well, at the very least, Bieber got the internet talking about him for a while, which may or may not have been his end goal. Because it seems as though everyone is in agreement that fighting Tom Cruise would not end well for him.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.