- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
- All ‘The Witcher’ content you can gobble up once you finish the Netflix series Thursday 7:47 PM
- Tinder adding a ‘panic button’ for when dates go awry Thursday 6:14 PM
- Webcam footage of ‘Bigfoot’ shared by state government agency Thursday 5:47 PM
- Video shows that James Corden doesn’t drive Carpool Karaoke car—and fans feel betrayed Thursday 5:06 PM
- Video shows Julianne Hough screaming, writhing during physical therapy demo Thursday 4:47 PM
- Halsey accidentally called for another 9/11 Thursday 4:01 PM
- Lizzo’s Rolling Stone shoot criticized for cultural appropriation Thursday 3:19 PM
- Bloomberg’s broadband platform is 5 years behind his rivals Thursday 3:03 PM
- Hulu’s ‘Endlings’ is a smart sci-fi show for kids—and adults Thursday 1:42 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Pandemic’ drops right when we need to be worried most Thursday 1:20 PM
- TikTok signs licensing agreement with Merlin Thursday 12:19 PM
- Anime film ‘NiNoKuni’ falls apart with flimsy plotting Thursday 11:57 AM
- Cop who called for boycott of Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance now says he’s Black Thursday 11:12 AM
Jimmy Ma made Olympic figure skating history Thursday when he performed a routine to “Turn Down for What” by DJ Snake and Lil Jon.
Jimmy Ma brings it at U.S. Figure Skating Championships. pic.twitter.com/ywMuM0vM88— Nick Zaccardi (@nzaccardi) January 5, 2018
The figure skater chose the song for the 2018 U.S. Figure Skating Championship, ramping up enthusiasm from the audience and even the announcers. It’s the first year of the Winter Olympics that figure skaters are allowed to perform to music with lyrics.
Section 121 is rocking out to Jimmy Ma’s music pic.twitter.com/6gyIn0u0zq— Marni Gallagher (@crossthefingers) January 5, 2018
“Figure skating is an extreme sport,” Ma told USA TODAY Sports. “I want the most amount of people to see that it is both an awesome art form and also an awesome sport. The whole point was to get people hyped. Get older people hyped and for younger people to think it is cool.”
The internet, too, went wild with approval.
Just when you think you’ve seen it all...figure skater Jimmy Ma skates to “Turn Down For What” at U.S. Nationals. The crowd went nuts when the beat dropped. Yes, modern music is fun!! #USChamps18 pic.twitter.com/KpXGHpFG4L— Jackie Pepper ✊🏽☮️🌊 (@Jackie_Pepper) January 5, 2018
Ma only took 11th place in the competition, but he should get gold for his turn-up.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.