- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior Today 3:36 PM
- Why do white rappers write lyrics about being good hypothetical dads? Today 3:29 PM
- Roger Stone posts, then deletes, Instagram of his judge with small crosshairs next to her Today 2:32 PM
- People are Googling Rihanna and their birthday in a Twitter challenge Today 2:13 PM
- Here are all of the Fortnite earthquake cracks thus far Today 1:21 PM
- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners Today 12:36 PM
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ Today 12:24 PM
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Today 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
This Instagram photo of an egg is about to become the most-liked of all time
Welcome to 2019, y’all.
In a strange, but rather wholesome, turn of events, a photo of an egg is vying for the most-liked Instagram photo of all time—and it just might win.
The phenomenon, first reported by BuzzFeed, reached a fever pitch on Sunday evening.
“Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram. Beating the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)! We got this,” the caption on @world_record_egg’s photo says, followed by the high-five emoji and the hashtags #LikeTheEgg, #EggSoldiers, and #EggGang.
The photo of a standard-issue, brown hen’s egg has tough competition—it’s trying to topple Kylie Jenner’s photo of her daughter, Stormi Webster, in which she revealed the child’s name. Jenner’s photo, from February 2018, currently has 18.1 million likes.
But since it was posted on Jan. 4, @world_record_egg has garnered over 17 million likes, closing in on Jenner’s record.
“17million oof she popped off,” @charleyreiid commented.
“BOYS WE ALMOST THERE,” @doyle2033 wrote.
“OH MY GOD ALMOST THEREREEE,” commented @jade_le_charmed_official.
Several users tagged Jenner, as well.
Of course, some are trying to capitalize on the egg’s success. And there are copycat accounts, too.
@world_record_hens claims to be the chicken that hatched @world_record_egg.
@theworldrecord nut asks, “Kylie Jenner did it, Beyoncé did it, even an egg did it… Can deez nuts get a world record?”
Users are commenting on Jenner’s February photo, some simply tagging @world_record_egg, or leaving a series of egg emoji.
It’s unclear who is behind the account, and what happens if, or after, the photo reaches the 18 million mark.
The Daily Dot reached out to @world_record_egg and to Instagram for comment but did not receive a response from either by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.