- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Thursday 12:18 PM
In a strange, but rather wholesome, turn of events, a photo of an egg is vying for the most-liked Instagram photo of all time—and it just might win.
The phenomenon, first reported by BuzzFeed, reached a fever pitch on Sunday evening.
“Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram. Beating the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)! We got this,” the caption on @world_record_egg’s photo says, followed by the high-five emoji and the hashtags #LikeTheEgg, #EggSoldiers, and #EggGang.
The photo of a standard-issue, brown hen’s egg has tough competition—it’s trying to topple Kylie Jenner’s photo of her daughter, Stormi Webster, in which she revealed the child’s name. Jenner’s photo, from February 2018, currently has 18.1 million likes.
But since it was posted on Jan. 4, @world_record_egg has garnered over 17 million likes, closing in on Jenner’s record.
“17million oof she popped off,” @charleyreiid commented.
“BOYS WE ALMOST THERE,” @doyle2033 wrote.
“OH MY GOD ALMOST THEREREEE,” commented @jade_le_charmed_official.
Several users tagged Jenner, as well.
Of course, some are trying to capitalize on the egg’s success. And there are copycat accounts, too.
@world_record_hens claims to be the chicken that hatched @world_record_egg.
@theworldrecord nut asks, “Kylie Jenner did it, Beyoncé did it, even an egg did it… Can deez nuts get a world record?”
Users are commenting on Jenner’s February photo, some simply tagging @world_record_egg, or leaving a series of egg emoji.
It’s unclear who is behind the account, and what happens if, or after, the photo reaches the 18 million mark.
The Daily Dot reached out to @world_record_egg and to Instagram for comment but did not receive a response from either by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.