- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
This Instagram photo of an egg is about to become the most-liked of all time
Welcome to 2019, y’all.
In a strange, but rather wholesome, turn of events, a photo of an egg is vying for the most-liked Instagram photo of all time—and it just might win.
The phenomenon, first reported by BuzzFeed, reached a fever pitch on Sunday evening.
“Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram. Beating the current world record held by Kylie Jenner (18 million)! We got this,” the caption on @world_record_egg’s photo says, followed by the high-five emoji and the hashtags #LikeTheEgg, #EggSoldiers, and #EggGang.
The photo of a standard-issue, brown hen’s egg has tough competition—it’s trying to topple Kylie Jenner’s photo of her daughter, Stormi Webster, in which she revealed the child’s name. Jenner’s photo, from February 2018, currently has 18.1 million likes.
But since it was posted on Jan. 4, @world_record_egg has garnered over 17 million likes, closing in on Jenner’s record.
“17million oof she popped off,” @charleyreiid commented.
“BOYS WE ALMOST THERE,” @doyle2033 wrote.
“OH MY GOD ALMOST THEREREEE,” commented @jade_le_charmed_official.
Several users tagged Jenner, as well.
Of course, some are trying to capitalize on the egg’s success. And there are copycat accounts, too.
@world_record_hens claims to be the chicken that hatched @world_record_egg.
@theworldrecord nut asks, “Kylie Jenner did it, Beyoncé did it, even an egg did it… Can deez nuts get a world record?”
Users are commenting on Jenner’s February photo, some simply tagging @world_record_egg, or leaving a series of egg emoji.
It’s unclear who is behind the account, and what happens if, or after, the photo reaches the 18 million mark.
The Daily Dot reached out to @world_record_egg and to Instagram for comment but did not receive a response from either by press time.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.