- The best apps and gadgets for cooking the perfect Thanksgiving feast 3 Months Ago
- Amazon says police can hold on to Ring videos indefinitely 3 Months Ago
- Henry Cavill on the prospect of playing Superman again: ‘the cape is still in the closet’ Today 9:15 AM
- Why does Pete Buttigieg always tweet ‘buh’? Today 9:08 AM
- Noah Hawley will direct the next ‘Star Trek’ movie starring Chris Pine Today 8:51 AM
- Vidgo is a streaming bonanza of live sports Today 8:40 AM
- Reap the benefits of CBD with these organic CBD tinctures Today 8:17 AM
- How to stream Hulu in 4K Today 7:12 AM
- The far-right is mobilizing to get Roger Stone pardoned Today 7:00 AM
- Artist Yumi Sakugawa uses Instagram to tackle creative shame Today 6:00 AM
- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
Single people on Twitter have always been the butt of jokes. But now, not even a relationship can save you from the scorn of single memes.
The new “ur single to me” meme is attacking almost anyone who is dating. Does your partner have an Android, or are they an 18th-century Englishman? If the answer to either is yes, people on Twitter are saying that actually, you’re still single.
if your boyfriend has an android.. ur single to me 😤 tf is he gonna do?? tell me to (1/2) fuck (2/2) off ???— maybe: God (@champagneswathi) September 1, 2019
The meme uses a basic formula, usually starting with “if you’re dating…” then describing a specific type of person and saying “ur single to me.” This is followed by “what are they going to do?” and a justification, which can sometimes be offensive or rely on stereotypes.
According to Know Your Meme, the “ur single to me” meme started in March with a tweet by @Arealstarboy that went: “If your boyfriend white… you single to me… wtf Tyler gone do🤔😭💪🏾.” The tweet gained 6,000 retweets and 44,000 likes.
Many “ur single to me” memes focus the race or ethnicity of people’s partners.
If you got a Mexican boyfriend in the pueblo or rancho, you’re single to me.— ese wey, el prietito (@aguaachiles) September 3, 2019
What’s Ignacio going to do, send me a WhatsApp voice message mandándome ALV?
One of the most popular tweets featuring the meme also ties in conversations about the perpetrators of mass shootings.
“If you got a white boyfriend, you single to me. what’s Bryce gonna do?” user @MamoudouNDiaye wrote. “Get tight, watch the Joker movie, radicalize himself online, and open fire on a- you know what, have a good day miss.” The tweet received almost 50,000 likes.
if you got a white boyfriend, you single to me. what’s Bryce gonna do; get tight, watch the Joker movie, radicalize himself online, and open fire on a- you know what, have a good day miss— norman f*cking osborn! (@MamoudouNDiaye) September 3, 2019
Other viral renditions are looking backward for more historical roasts.
“If you’re dating an avant-garde artist from the 20th century you’re single to me, what the fuck are they gonna do? write a manifesto?” @dadaphone joked.
if you’re dating an avant-garde artist from the 20th century you’re single to me, what the fuck are they gonna do? write a manifesto?— ☞ meg (@dadaphone) September 3, 2019
And of course, some tweets roped in other memes to try to get laughs.
If you’re dating a baby shark, you’re single to me,” @fightmenn tweeted. “[What the fuck] he gonna do do doo do doo do do.”
If you’re dating a baby shark, you’re single to me. Tf he gonna do do doo do doo do do— Adin (@fightmenn) September 3, 2019
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.