- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
President Donald Trump‘s unveiling of his first executive order—an attempt to roll back the Affordable Care Act—provided perfect fodder for a new meme. When a president holds up a piece of paper that can be easily Photoshopped, that’s a gift to the internet. But now, one Twitter account is taking the meme to the next level: animated GIFs.
Trump Draws GIFs show the president proudly displaying childlike drawings to the press, awaiting the applause due to him for drawing a house or cat.
This version of the executive order meme impugns Trump’s intelligence in a manner that calls to mind the case against the previous Republican president, George W. Bush. This angle of attack is doomed to fail, of course, because Trump has a very high IQ. One of the highest. (Source: Donald J. Trump.)
There are only three GIFs on the Trump Draws Twitter account thus far, but one of them—the “kat” one—was the top post on Reddit Tuesday morning. If Trump Draws doesn’t post more, you can bet that someone else will.
Update 12:19pm CT, Jan. 31: A third GIF hit the web Tuesday afternoon!
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.