- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Wednesday 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Wednesday 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Wednesday 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Wednesday 12:55 PM
Apropos of nothing, a video of a mom and her kids dancing is getting dropped all over the Twitter timeline lately. It’s known lately as the Act My Age Vine meme, but there’s more to the meme origin story.
The clip shows a wholesome family moment of some well-choreographed moves.
me:— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) February 17, 2019
my entire fucking timeline: pic.twitter.com/sYBWPl4wDI
Unsurprisingly, it makes for perfect meme reaction material.
germany italy and japan after signing the berlin pact and forming the axis powers— jaboukie (@jaboukie) February 17, 2019
Bacteria when you don’t finish your antibiotic prescription all the way thru pic.twitter.com/roZagaisNB— UndocQScientist 👽🔬🌈 (@undocusci) February 16, 2019
Customer: “can you check the back”— Morrel (@realmorrelt) February 15, 2019
Me and my other coworkers in the back: pic.twitter.com/KizBFz7F6U
Though many have identified it as the “pirate music” meme, the clip is actually set to “Act My Age” by One Direction.
can’t believe i’ve been looking for this vibe for ages putting “pirate music” and it was a fucking one direction song https://t.co/oZ6VzjBJRN— kam (@JESSlCADREW) February 11, 2019
BuzzFeed News reports that the original video (now deleted from Vine but posted to YouTube) was filmed in 2014. The dancers are Aspect Za’Vier, his mother and professional choreographer Willona, and his brother Dexter.
Aspect Za’Vier, who’s now a music artist with more than 550,000 followers on Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that his mom choreographed the dance to “Drop” by Freco and Merlo. The clip was the first thing Za’Vier ever uploaded to Vine—and he’s thrilled that it’s still getting attention.
“I think it’s super cool because it’s something I just did for fun and everyone’s using it as a meme, and that’s crazy to me because it was years ago,” he told BuzzFeed News.
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own
- Twitter is dropping some hard truths with this ‘today’s tea’ meme
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.