- Why is Instagram still hosting ‘Black Lives Don’t Matter’ accounts? Today 7:14 AM
- Amanda Holden’s bad coronavirus advice sheds light on the struggle of being immunocompromised Friday 9:03 PM
- The World Health Organization is now fighting coronavirus misinformation on TikTok Friday 8:43 PM
- Police are using coronavirus misinformation to trick people into turning in drugs Friday 8:11 PM
- People can’t stop touching their faces–and the CDC really wants them to Friday 7:31 PM
- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
Apropos of nothing, a video of a mom and her kids dancing is getting dropped all over the Twitter timeline lately. It’s known lately as the Act My Age Vine meme, but there’s more to the meme origin story.
The clip shows a wholesome family moment of some well-choreographed moves.
me:— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) February 17, 2019
my entire fucking timeline: pic.twitter.com/sYBWPl4wDI
Unsurprisingly, it makes for perfect meme reaction material.
germany italy and japan after signing the berlin pact and forming the axis powers— jaboukie (@jaboukie) February 17, 2019
Bacteria when you don’t finish your antibiotic prescription all the way thru https://t.co/roZagaisNB— macro-phag-e 👽🔬🌈 (@undocusci) February 16, 2019
Customer: “can you check the back”— Morrel (@realmorrelt) February 15, 2019
Me and my other coworkers in the back: pic.twitter.com/KizBFz7F6U
Though many have identified it as the “pirate music” meme, the clip is actually set to “Act My Age” by One Direction.
can’t believe i’ve been looking for this vibe for ages putting “pirate music” and it was a fucking one direction song https://t.co/oZ6VzjBJRN— kam (@JESSlCADREW) February 11, 2019
BuzzFeed News reports that the original video (now deleted from Vine but posted to YouTube) was filmed in 2014. The dancers are Aspect Za’Vier, his mother and professional choreographer Willona, and his brother Dexter.
Aspect Za’Vier, who’s now a music artist with more than 550,000 followers on Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that his mom choreographed the dance to “Drop” by Freco and Merlo. The clip was the first thing Za’Vier ever uploaded to Vine—and he’s thrilled that it’s still getting attention.
“I think it’s super cool because it’s something I just did for fun and everyone’s using it as a meme, and that’s crazy to me because it was years ago,” he told BuzzFeed News.
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own
- Twitter is dropping some hard truths with this ‘today’s tea’ meme
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.