- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Apropos of nothing, a video of a mom and her kids dancing is getting dropped all over the Twitter timeline lately. It’s known lately as the Act My Age Vine meme, but there’s more to the meme origin story.
The clip shows a wholesome family moment of some well-choreographed moves.
me:— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) February 17, 2019
my entire fucking timeline: pic.twitter.com/sYBWPl4wDI
Unsurprisingly, it makes for perfect meme reaction material.
germany italy and japan after signing the berlin pact and forming the axis powers— jaboukie (@jaboukie) February 17, 2019
Bacteria when you don’t finish your antibiotic prescription all the way thru pic.twitter.com/roZagaisNB— UndocQScientist 👽🔬🌈 #FreeValeria (@undocusci) February 16, 2019
Customer: “can you check the back”— Morrel (@realmorrelt) February 15, 2019
Me and my other coworkers in the back: pic.twitter.com/KizBFz7F6U
Though many have identified it as the “pirate music” meme, the clip is actually set to “Act My Age” by One Direction.
can’t believe i’ve been looking for this vibe for ages putting “pirate music” and it was a fucking one direction song https://t.co/oZ6VzjBJRN— kam (@JESSlCADREW) February 11, 2019
BuzzFeed News reports that the original video (now deleted from Vine but posted to YouTube) was filmed in 2014. The dancers are Aspect Za’Vier, his mother and professional choreographer Willona, and his brother Dexter.
Aspect Za’Vier, who’s now a music artist with more than 550,000 followers on Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that his mom choreographed the dance to “Drop” by Freco and Merlo. The clip was the first thing Za’Vier ever uploaded to Vine—and he’s thrilled that it’s still getting attention.
“I think it’s super cool because it’s something I just did for fun and everyone’s using it as a meme, and that’s crazy to me because it was years ago,” he told BuzzFeed News.
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own
- Twitter is dropping some hard truths with this ‘today’s tea’ meme
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.