- These ‘Game of Thrones’ houses are gone forever 3 Months Ago
- The 10 best anime movies on Hulu 3 Months Ago
- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
Apropos of nothing, a video of a mom and her kids dancing is getting dropped all over the Twitter timeline lately. It’s known lately as the Act My Age Vine meme, but there’s more to the meme origin story.
The clip shows a wholesome family moment of some well-choreographed moves.
my entire fucking timeline: pic.twitter.com/sYBWPl4wDI
— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) February 17, 2019
Unsurprisingly, it makes for perfect meme reaction material.
germany italy and japan after signing the berlin pact and forming the axis powers
— jaboukie (@jaboukie) February 17, 2019
Bacteria when you don’t finish your antibiotic prescription all the way thru pic.twitter.com/roZagaisNB
— UndocQScientist 👽🌈🔬 (@undocusci) February 16, 2019
Customer: “can you check the back”
Me and my other coworkers in the back: pic.twitter.com/KizBFz7F6U
— Morrel (@realmorrelt) February 15, 2019
Though many have identified it as the “pirate music” meme, the clip is actually set to “Act My Age” by One Direction.
can’t believe i’ve been looking for this vibe for ages putting “pirate music” and it was a fucking one direction song https://t.co/oZ6VzjBJRN
— kam (@JESSlCADREW) February 11, 2019
BuzzFeed News reports that the original video (now deleted from Vine but posted to YouTube) was filmed in 2014. The dancers are Aspect Za’Vier, his mother and professional choreographer Willona, and his brother Dexter.
Aspect Za’Vier, who’s now a music artist with more than 550,000 followers on Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that his mom choreographed the dance to “Drop” by Freco and Merlo. The clip was the first thing Za’Vier ever uploaded to Vine—and he’s thrilled that it’s still getting attention.
“I think it’s super cool because it’s something I just did for fun and everyone’s using it as a meme, and that’s crazy to me because it was years ago,” he told BuzzFeed News.
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own
- Twitter is dropping some hard truths with this ‘today’s tea’ meme
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.