- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
Apropos of nothing, a video of a mom and her kids dancing is getting dropped all over the Twitter timeline lately. It’s known lately as the Act My Age Vine meme, but there’s more to the meme origin story.
The clip shows a wholesome family moment of some well-choreographed moves.
my entire fucking timeline: pic.twitter.com/sYBWPl4wDI
— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) February 17, 2019
Unsurprisingly, it makes for perfect meme reaction material.
germany italy and japan after signing the berlin pact and forming the axis powers
— jaboukie (@jaboukie) February 17, 2019
Bacteria when you don’t finish your antibiotic prescription all the way thru pic.twitter.com/roZagaisNB
— UndocQScientist 👽🌈🔬 (@undocusci) February 16, 2019
Customer: “can you check the back”
Me and my other coworkers in the back: pic.twitter.com/KizBFz7F6U
— Morrel (@realmorrelt) February 15, 2019
Though many have identified it as the “pirate music” meme, the clip is actually set to “Act My Age” by One Direction.
can’t believe i’ve been looking for this vibe for ages putting “pirate music” and it was a fucking one direction song https://t.co/oZ6VzjBJRN
— kam (@JESSlCADREW) February 11, 2019
BuzzFeed News reports that the original video (now deleted from Vine but posted to YouTube) was filmed in 2014. The dancers are Aspect Za’Vier, his mother and professional choreographer Willona, and his brother Dexter.
Aspect Za’Vier, who’s now a music artist with more than 550,000 followers on Instagram, told BuzzFeed News that his mom choreographed the dance to “Drop” by Freco and Merlo. The clip was the first thing Za’Vier ever uploaded to Vine—and he’s thrilled that it’s still getting attention.
“I think it’s super cool because it’s something I just did for fun and everyone’s using it as a meme, and that’s crazy to me because it was years ago,” he told BuzzFeed News.
- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own
- Twitter is dropping some hard truths with this ‘today’s tea’ meme
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.