- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
Everyone engages in some sort of unhealthy behavior from time to time. Whether it’s getting drunk, overspending, or indulging in carbs, we all find ways to curb responsibilities or avoid confronting emotions. Now, people on Twitter are airing out their imperfect habits with the vaguest explanation in the book: “Due to personal reasons.”
Tweets following the meme format starts off as if the writer is going to reveal something serious, saying “due to personal reasons.” But the phrase is followed with a description of questionable activities, like a shopping spree or drinking liquor. The humor of the meme, of course, comes from the dark and self-deprecating realities of avoidant behavior.
It’s certainly revelatory to learn how some people cope with life’s stressors. For many, it’s a drink (or several).
Due to personal reasons i just took a shot of tequila— Kendra Leigh (@kendraaaleighh) February 15, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be isolating myself and bottling up all of my feelings— ahm (@uwua7mad) February 14, 2019
Others are revealing how they manage—or barely manage—their money.
Due to personal reasons I will continue to buy things I don’t need just to give me some temporary joy in my heart.— Father Sean Misty (@seanieviola) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be buying a birkin with my dad’s credit card— ✧ iris ✧ (@cokecinderella) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons I will be spending my entire paycheck in one day— bell (@anabellquinn) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons, I will continue to get tattoos as a coping mechanism— Goat Whisperer (@Cant_Turn_Left) February 16, 2019
Many people cope with food indulgence, whether it’s eating at a bad chain restaurant or carb loading in the shower.
due to personal reasons i will be going to applebees— gary from teen mom (@garyfromteenmom) February 15, 2019
But as with any meme, there are some that flout the format. This person’s “personal reasons” led to a straight-up joyful decision.
Due to personal reasons I will be hugging every dog i see ever.— Cris (@CrisMtzgr) February 18, 2019
Anyway, due to personal reasons, we should all try logging off the internet for the day.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.