- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Everyone engages in some sort of unhealthy behavior from time to time. Whether it’s getting drunk, overspending, or indulging in carbs, we all find ways to curb responsibilities or avoid confronting emotions. Now, people on Twitter are airing out their imperfect habits with the vaguest explanation in the book: “Due to personal reasons.”
Tweets following the meme format starts off as if the writer is going to reveal something serious, saying “due to personal reasons.” But the phrase is followed with a description of questionable activities, like a shopping spree or drinking liquor. The humor of the meme, of course, comes from the dark and self-deprecating realities of avoidant behavior.
It’s certainly revelatory to learn how some people cope with life’s stressors. For many, it’s a drink (or several).
Due to personal reasons i just took a shot of tequila— Kendra Leigh (@kendraaaleighh) February 15, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be isolating myself and bottling up all of my feelings— ahm (@uwua7mad) February 14, 2019
Others are revealing how they manage—or barely manage—their money.
Due to personal reasons I will continue to buy things I don’t need just to give me some temporary joy in my heart.— Father Sean Misty (@seanieviola) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be buying a birkin with my dad’s credit card— ✧ iris ✧ (@cokecinderella) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons I will be spending my entire paycheck in one day— bell (@anabellquinn) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons, I will continue to get tattoos as a coping mechanism— Goat Whisperer (@Cant_Turn_Left) February 16, 2019
Many people cope with food indulgence, whether it’s eating at a bad chain restaurant or carb loading in the shower.
due to personal reasons i will be going to applebees— gary from teen mom (@garyfromteenmom) February 15, 2019
But as with any meme, there are some that flout the format. This person’s “personal reasons” led to a straight-up joyful decision.
Due to personal reasons I will be hugging every dog i see ever.— Cris (@CrisMtzgr) February 18, 2019
Anyway, due to personal reasons, we should all try logging off the internet for the day.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.