- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
People on Twitter are airing it all out.
Everyone engages in some sort of unhealthy behavior from time to time. Whether it’s getting drunk, overspending, or indulging in carbs, we all find ways to curb responsibilities or avoid confronting emotions. Now, people on Twitter are airing out their imperfect habits with the vaguest explanation in the book: “Due to personal reasons.”
Tweets following the meme format starts off as if the writer is going to reveal something serious, saying “due to personal reasons.” But the phrase is followed with a description of questionable activities, like a shopping spree or drinking liquor. The humor of the meme, of course, comes from the dark and self-deprecating realities of avoidant behavior.
It’s certainly revelatory to learn how some people cope with life’s stressors. For many, it’s a drink (or several).
Due to personal reasons i just took a shot of tequila
— Kendra Leigh (@kendraaaleighh) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons I’m drunk
— 𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔦𝔠𝔞 𝔰𝔞𝔴𝔶𝔢𝔯 (@almondmilkhunni) February 18, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be isolating myself and bottling up all of my feelings
— ahm (@uwua7mad) February 14, 2019
Others are revealing how they manage—or barely manage—their money.
Due to personal reasons I will continue to buy things I don’t need just to give me some temporary joy in my heart.
— Father Sean Misty (@seanieviola) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be buying a birkin with my dad’s credit card
— ✧ iris ✧ (@cokecinderella) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons I will be spending my entire paycheck in one day
— bell (@anabellquinn) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons, I will continue to get tattoos as a coping mechanism
— Goat Whisperer (@Cant_Turn_Left) February 16, 2019
Many people cope with food indulgence, whether it’s eating at a bad chain restaurant or carb loading in the shower.
due to personal reasons i will be going to applebees
— gary from teen mom (@garyfromteenmom) February 15, 2019
But as with any meme, there are some that flout the format. This person’s “personal reasons” led to a straight-up joyful decision.
Due to personal reasons I will be hugging every dog i see ever.
— Cris (@CrisMtzgr) February 18, 2019
Anyway, due to personal reasons, we should all try logging off the internet for the day.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.