- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior
People on Twitter are airing it all out.
Everyone engages in some sort of unhealthy behavior from time to time. Whether it’s getting drunk, overspending, or indulging in carbs, we all find ways to curb responsibilities or avoid confronting emotions. Now, people on Twitter are airing out their imperfect habits with the vaguest explanation in the book: “Due to personal reasons.”
Tweets following the meme format starts off as if the writer is going to reveal something serious, saying “due to personal reasons.” But the phrase is followed with a description of questionable activities, like a shopping spree or drinking liquor. The humor of the meme, of course, comes from the dark and self-deprecating realities of avoidant behavior.
It’s certainly revelatory to learn how some people cope with life’s stressors. For many, it’s a drink (or several).
Due to personal reasons i just took a shot of tequila
— Kendra Leigh (@kendraaaleighh) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons I’m drunk
— 𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔦𝔠𝔞 𝔰𝔞𝔴𝔶𝔢𝔯 (@almondmilkhunni) February 18, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be isolating myself and bottling up all of my feelings
— ahm (@uwua7mad) February 14, 2019
Others are revealing how they manage—or barely manage—their money.
Due to personal reasons I will continue to buy things I don’t need just to give me some temporary joy in my heart.
— Father Sean Misty (@seanieviola) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons i will be buying a birkin with my dad’s credit card
— ✧ iris ✧ (@cokecinderella) February 13, 2019
due to personal reasons I will be spending my entire paycheck in one day
— bell (@anabellquinn) February 15, 2019
Due to personal reasons, I will continue to get tattoos as a coping mechanism
— Goat Whisperer (@Cant_Turn_Left) February 16, 2019
Many people cope with food indulgence, whether it’s eating at a bad chain restaurant or carb loading in the shower.
due to personal reasons i will be going to applebees
— gary from teen mom (@garyfromteenmom) February 15, 2019
But as with any meme, there are some that flout the format. This person’s “personal reasons” led to a straight-up joyful decision.
Due to personal reasons I will be hugging every dog i see ever.
— Cris (@CrisMtzgr) February 18, 2019
Anyway, due to personal reasons, we should all try logging off the internet for the day.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.