- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free 3 Months Ago
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
20? 50? 75?
How many towels do you own? More specifically, how many of each type of towel do you own? There are hand towels, face towels, bath towels, and probably other types of towels that only very wealthy people know about. Your answer likely depends on several factors. Do you live alone, with a partner, or with roommates? More importantly, have you ever thought about how many towels an adult should own? Probably not, unless you run an Airbnb.
Over the weekend, Twitter user @Advil posed the question to his followers. “My gf and i have a question… what is the correct amount of towels to own? i said 10 and she looked at me like i was crazy. we have zero frame of reference on the appropriate amount of towels in a household of two,” he wrote.
hello fellow adults. my gf and i have a question… what is the correct amount of towels to own? i said 10 and she looked at me like i was crazy. we have zero frame of reference on the appropriate amount of towels in a household of two.
— abdul (@Advil) February 17, 2019
Writer Yashar Ali responded that couples should own at least 50 towels—including 20 wash cloths.
As a couple you should own a minimum of the following
10 Bath Sheets
10 Bath Towels
10 Hand Towels
20 Wash Cloths
Preferably more https://t.co/CWqd8kp5vJ
— Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) February 18, 2019
The tweet launched a debate and then turned into a meme.
All grown couples should have
12 Shower towels
16 Tea towels
8 Guest towels
1 Mystery towel
19 Wash linens
10 Hand towels
9 Hand towels (other hand)
16 Yōkai towels
— Italian Alex Pareene (@pareene) February 18, 2019
as a couple you should own a minimum of the following:
– 6 bath towels
– 4 hand towels
– 12 plates
– 4 battle axes
— MJ (@morganisawizard) February 18, 2019
As a Floridian you should own a minimum of the following
19 beach towels
5 pool towels
3 car towels
6 dog towels
1 Marco Rubio Sweating towel
Preferably more https://t.co/Dm4jn8dyHY
— Deb (@debontherocks) February 18, 2019
A couple should on average have enough towels to embalm each other according to ancient Egyptian customs, otherwise grow the fuck up!
— Erin buffet sweatsuit Ryan (@morninggloria) February 18, 2019
How many towels should I own? (1932) pic.twitter.com/QgEpBOsLra
— Paul Fairie (@paulisci) February 18, 2019
As a couple you should own a minimum of the following:
One: the cow as white as milk
Two: the cape as red as blood
Three: the hair as yellow as corn
Four: the slipper as pure as gold
Five: 12 bath towels you have stolen from various gyms
— R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) February 18, 2019
owning a lot of towels is for:
1) very rich people
2) parents, but only after you leave home and yet all the towels are 15 years old and torn somehow
— libby watson (@libbycwatson) February 18, 2019
If you know how many towels you own, you’re a cop. pic.twitter.com/CukAuvpzhl
— Erin For President (@erinscafe) February 18, 2019
Girls don't like boys, girls like owning, at a minimum, 50 towels, preferably more.
— Zach Heltzel (@zachheltzel) February 18, 2019
The towels discussion inspired people to buy more towels.
Just checked Amazon. They’re out of towels. All the towels are gone. Hope y’all got your towels in a safe place. Hold your towels tight
— elan gale (@theyearofelan) February 18, 2019
— Alicia Lewis (@sosaysalicia) February 18, 2019
So… how many towels should you actually own? No one really knows, but if you have at least a few clean ones on your shelf, you’re probably doing fine.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.