- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Today 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Today 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Today 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Today 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Today 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Today 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
The term “knuckle sandwich” has been with us for a long time. Dictionary.com says the term was first recorded between 1970-1975 but fails to mention who actually coined the phrase. It doesn’t need a lot of explaining though. Even if you’ve never heard the phrase, it’s pretty obvious that it’s referring to punching someone in the mouth.
As early as 2010 people were posting pictures of their fist between two pieces of bread to create a literal knuckle sandwich—and they’re doing it again.
User Dollface posted the following picture to the “Questionable Content” forum on March 17, 2010, in response to the question “What is the best sandwich”?
People have no doubt made the same joke before and many times since, but the meme seems to be having a resurgence recently, with everyone seemingly wanting to put their hand between bread.
Knuckle sandwich memes
How bout a knuckle sandwich? 😂 pic.twitter.com/PvhqmYf5vY— Black ™ (@Maurice_Peters) July 26, 2019
Hey racism I brought you some lunch 😈💯 pic.twitter.com/UUEFBciilW— colin (@colin69k) July 24, 2019
In particular, a tweet from @TreacyRedWolfTF this week seems to have caught on. The original tweet shows a young man with his hand between two buns and a slice of cheese, along with the caption “Got a snack for the inventor of cancer.”
Other people grabbed the image and began posting it with their own messages.
Hey animal abusers,— Vegan 6ix God (@VEGASHI269) July 24, 2019
I brought you some lunch 😤💯 pic.twitter.com/i5QEXATZqL
Dear trolls: I brought you some lunch.. pic.twitter.com/9xRRixA8yM— JaVonni Brustow (@JaVonniBrustow) July 24, 2019
The knuckle sandwich meme is just now starting to take off online, but with summer temperatures well above average in many states, tempers are no doubt going to flair—and people will find plenty of reasons to serve up their fist in sandwich form.
- Why everyone is talking about how ‘they did surgery on a grape’
- The ‘Cursed TikToks’ Twitter account is all about watching people fail
- People are planning to storm Loch Ness in hopes of finding Nessie
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.