- The internet is celebrating a ban on ‘gay and trans panic’ defense for murder Thursday 5:59 PM
- Jessica Simpson proudly announces the return of her ankles post-pregnancy Thursday 5:52 PM
- Anti-reparations speaker has a SoundCloud album called ‘My D*ck Works Fine!’ Thursday 5:04 PM
- Firearm companies can’t advertise guns on Instagram—but influencers can Thursday 4:29 PM
- Roy Moore is running for Senate again, despite… you know Thursday 3:34 PM
- 72 officers removed from patrol over ‘offensive’ Facebook posts Thursday 3:32 PM
- Cuba Gooding Jr. turned himself in to the police—and it’s a meme now Thursday 3:26 PM
- Facebook would like to remind the world it owns Instagram, WhatsApp, and Oculus Thursday 3:10 PM
- Kutcher, Kunis debunk divorce rumor—and fans reply with ‘That ‘70s Show’ memes Thursday 3:00 PM
- Yes, Tifa’s breasts are smaller in Final Fantasy 7 Remake. Here’s why Thursday 1:33 PM
- Google admits bug could let people spy on Nest cameras Thursday 1:29 PM
- The Trump 2020 bot campaign has begun Thursday 1:10 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in July 2019 Thursday 12:39 PM
- Suicides in the U.S. are increasing at terrifying rates Thursday 12:32 PM
- Hannah’s season of ‘The Bachelorette’ goes up in smoke amid drama, receipts Thursday 12:27 PM
John Legend brings the ‘Arthur’ meme to life in Google Duo Ad
John Legend made the Arthur meme a reality—and it’s great.
The Arthur meme may have gone viral in 2016, but John Legend is proving it still has juice. A new Google Duo ad shows that Legend is a dead ringer for the ’90s PBS cartoon character, according to Twitter and his own wife.
“I need some help, I’m trying to pick out an outfit,” Legend tells his wife over Google Duo as she lays on their bed.
— John Legend (@johnlegend) April 25, 2018
Legend cycles through a few more outfits before being told by Teigen to “come back with something strong, please.”
The final outfit, a pair of blue pants and a yellow sweater vest, causes Teigen to scream “Arthur!” and laugh maniacally at the resemblance of Legend to the cartoon character with minimal hair and a studious expression. The ending of the video shows a close-up of Legend clenching fist, a salute to the meme that went viral two years ago.
You are the best pic.twitter.com/kz4EXY7p1J
— Mobius (@Mobius___Strip) April 25, 2018
It’s been a running joke that Legend had looked like Arthur ever since 2017—and Teigen started it.
John when you tell him he looks like Arthur pic.twitter.com/0NW3NDtAb1
— christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) February 21, 2017
Originally, John was quizzical about the Arthur character while the internet was all too eager to join in on Teigen’s fun.
I hadn't even heard of this Arthur character til now. Was he around when I was a kid?
— John Legend (@johnlegend) February 21, 2017
— jomny sun (@jonnysun) February 21, 2017
he's a legend john how dare u
— peter parker stan acc (@almasmiz) February 21, 2017
i mean he definitely looks like a Legend pic.twitter.com/OLQXtvxW83
— emily (@prettynjh93) February 21, 2017
Millennials: "YOU DON'T KNOW ARTHUR" pic.twitter.com/q58lxtl4As
— Emily Sowah (@sowahblanket) February 21, 2017
Legend is 39-years-old while Teigen is 32. He probably didn’t grow up watching Arthur, but Legend certainly knows the cartoon now. Now we just need him to cover the PBS show’s iconic theme song.
Grace Speas is a news reporter, covering streaming entertainment, internet culture, and viral politics.