- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet 1 Week Ago
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts 1 Week Ago
- The VSCO Girl has always been here 1 Week Ago
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Today 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Today 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Today 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Today 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Today 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Today 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone chargers Today 6:00 AM
It all started when Elba was featured on the YouTube series Hot Ones, in which the host, Sean Evans, asks celebrities questions as they progressively eat hotter and hotter wings. In the episode, Elba eats what is apparently a very hot wing, as he coughs and says, “What the fuck! Oh shit!” And even though Elba almost dies by hot wing, he still manages to lick his fingers afterward.
The internet loved it, meme-ifying it immediately.
Feeling uncomfortable? Use the Elba choking on a hot wing meme to properly convey that.
“When the dinner date is going great and he drop ‘so you talking to anyone else?'” Twitter user mikasa wrote.
when the dinner date is going great and he drop “so you talking to anyone else?” pic.twitter.com/28HsCbhw5V— mikasa (@rayaldn) August 12, 2019
When you’re eating at a restaurant and she randomly asks “what are we?” pic.twitter.com/D7hBGgSr10— Deeps🥤 (@Shallows_C) August 11, 2019
When you take her on that $300 date and she starts telling you about how she’s been practicing Celibacy pic.twitter.com/pxfT4VBPGh— Big Papi🇳🇬🇩🇴 (@_TobiTheGreat16) August 12, 2019
Jesus and God were also thrown in the mix.
“During the meal Jesus said, ‘I tell you, one of you will betray me’ Judas:” Twitter user @_lessismaur wrote.
During the meal Jesus said, "I tell you, one of you will betray me”— less is mo ... (@_lessismaur) August 12, 2019
There were also plenty of tweets about people reacting to eating food that is either poisoned or simply tastes like it is.
When you eat the food of a woman who doesn't have wobbly triceps pic.twitter.com/qOs2ByQkk0— Silky (@KeKatli) August 12, 2019
My man after I've put too much Comet on top of the spaghetti pic.twitter.com/8SGjqzQ35m— Flip Phone Jaysin🔪 (@damn_jaysin) August 11, 2019
No word on if Elba has seen the meme yet–but when he does, his reaction might look something like this:
When idris Elba sees that he’s now a meme pic.twitter.com/aAeSofFSnU— Danny⭕️H (@dannyose9) August 13, 2019
- Woman in kombucha reaction meme on going viral: ‘It’s blowing my mind’
- What comes after ‘Hot Girl Summer?’ ‘Christian Girl Autumn,’ apparently
- People are obsessed with this ‘fish tube’–and the memes are sliding in
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Katie Balevic is an editorial intern at the Daily Dot where she enjoys covering social justice issues and politics. Her previous work has appeared in the Daily Texan, the Victoria Advocate, and the Houston Defender.