- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
It all started when Elba was featured on the YouTube series Hot Ones, in which the host, Sean Evans, asks celebrities questions as they progressively eat hotter and hotter wings. In the episode, Elba eats what is apparently a very hot wing, as he coughs and says, “What the fuck! Oh shit!” And even though Elba almost dies by hot wing, he still manages to lick his fingers afterward.
The internet loved it, meme-ifying it immediately.
Feeling uncomfortable? Use the Elba choking on a hot wing meme to properly convey that.
“When the dinner date is going great and he drop ‘so you talking to anyone else?'” Twitter user mikasa wrote.
when the dinner date is going great and he drop “so you talking to anyone else?” pic.twitter.com/28HsCbhw5V— mikasa (@rayaldn) August 12, 2019
When you take her on that $300 date and she starts telling you about how she’s been practicing Celibacy pic.twitter.com/pxfT4VBPGh— Big Papi🇳🇬🇩🇴 (@_TobiTheGreat16) August 12, 2019
Jesus and God were also thrown in the mix.
“During the meal Jesus said, ‘I tell you, one of you will betray me’ Judas:” Twitter user @_lessismaur wrote.
During the meal Jesus said, "I tell you, one of you will betray me”— less is mo ... (@_lessismaur) August 12, 2019
There were also plenty of tweets about people reacting to eating food that is either poisoned or simply tastes like it is.
When you eat the food of a woman who doesn't have wobbly triceps pic.twitter.com/qOs2ByQkk0— Silky (@KeKatli) August 12, 2019
No word on if Elba has seen the meme yet–but when he does, his reaction might look something like this:
When idris Elba sees that he’s now a meme pic.twitter.com/aAeSofFSnU— Danny⭕️H (@dannyose9) August 13, 2019
- Woman in kombucha reaction meme on going viral: ‘It’s blowing my mind’
- What comes after ‘Hot Girl Summer?’ ‘Christian Girl Autumn,’ apparently
- People are obsessed with this ‘fish tube’–and the memes are sliding in
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Katie Balevic is an editorial intern at the Daily Dot where she enjoys covering social justice issues and politics. Her previous work has appeared in the Daily Texan, the Victoria Advocate, and the Houston Defender.