- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale 1 Week Ago
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges 1 Week Ago
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Today 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Today 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Today 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Today 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Today 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Today 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Today 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Today 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Today 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games Today 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Today 12:20 PM
- Reddit mods restore Tiananmen Square image after censorship claims Today 12:18 PM
- Billie Eilish parody takes dad jokes to a whole new level Today 11:52 AM
You always remember your first time, especially if it’s captured on TikTok.
Perhaps user @brittanyt445 didn’t intend on making an entirely relatable meme out of trying kombucha for the first time, but her reactions translate universally. In the viral clip, she sniffs the can first, remarking that it “really smells like a public restroom.” Then she takes a sip, and the journey begins.
It’s not quite a face journey, not quite a cursed TikTok, but it quickly became a reaction meme for literally any situation. Know Your Meme points to an Aug. 9 re-upload of the video to Twitter as one inciting incident, with the caption, “When I tasted the cum for the first time.”
When I tasted the cum for the first time pic.twitter.com/8HMGkvz1Zz— PopstarDave 🅙 (@PopstarDave) August 9, 2019
From there, she became the face of uncertainty and indecision.
Looking at myself naked in the mirror pic.twitter.com/qtAJympbBi— lil adam (@MaxxAtom) August 11, 2019
“Let’s go out tonight”— Kara 🖤 (@KaraKempp) August 12, 2019
Hanging out with a Capricorn the first 3 times & then the 4th pic.twitter.com/dp1SeoL5fx— Astro Poets (@poetastrologers) August 12, 2019
The woman, Dallas-based Brittany Tomlinson, tells the Daily Dot that it’s been quite the trip: “Being viral is crazy, dude. You know how there’s like ‘April 2019, May 2019’ memes of the month? I’m deadass August 2019 and it’s blowing my mind.”
Still, she says the reactions and comments have been positive, and that “making people laugh has always been a joy of mine and now I’m literally making the whole world laugh and my heart is FULL.” And yes, she still thinks kombucha is “kinda nasty,” but “in a good way.”
While the kombucha clip went viral, Tomlinson has other relatable TikToks.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.