- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Tuesday 1:16 PM
You always remember your first time, especially if it’s captured on TikTok.
Perhaps user @brittanyt445 didn’t intend on making an entirely relatable meme out of trying kombucha for the first time, but her reactions translate universally. In the viral clip, she sniffs the can first, remarking that it “really smells like a public restroom.” Then she takes a sip, and the journey begins.
It’s not quite a face journey, not quite a cursed TikTok, but it quickly became a reaction meme for literally any situation. Know Your Meme points to an Aug. 9 re-upload of the video to Twitter as one inciting incident, with the caption, “When I tasted the cum for the first time.”
When I tasted the cum for the first time pic.twitter.com/8HMGkvz1Zz— PopstarDave 🇺🇸 🅙 (@PopstarDave) August 9, 2019
From there, she became the face of uncertainty and indecision.
Looking at myself naked in the mirror pic.twitter.com/qtAJympbBi— lil adam (@MaxxAtom) August 11, 2019
“Let’s go out tonight”— Kara 🖤 (@KaraKempp) August 12, 2019
Hanging out with a Capricorn the first 3 times & then the 4th pic.twitter.com/dp1SeoL5fx— Astro Poets (@poetastrologers) August 12, 2019
The woman, Dallas-based Brittany Tomlinson, tells the Daily Dot that it’s been quite the trip: “Being viral is crazy, dude. You know how there’s like ‘April 2019, May 2019’ memes of the month? I’m deadass August 2019 and it’s blowing my mind.”
Still, she says the reactions and comments have been positive, and that “making people laugh has always been a joy of mine and now I’m literally making the whole world laugh and my heart is FULL.” And yes, she still thinks kombucha is “kinda nasty,” but “in a good way.”
While the kombucha clip went viral, Tomlinson has other relatable TikToks.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.