- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Tuesday 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting (updated) Tuesday 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Tuesday 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Tuesday 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Tuesday 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Tuesday 10:56 AM
You always remember your first time, especially if it’s captured on TikTok.
Perhaps user @brittanyt445 didn’t intend on making an entirely relatable meme out of trying kombucha for the first time, but her reactions translate universally. In the viral clip, she sniffs the can first, remarking that it “really smells like a public restroom.” Then she takes a sip, and the journey begins.
It’s not quite a face journey, not quite a cursed TikTok, but it quickly became a reaction meme for literally any situation. Know Your Meme points to an Aug. 9 re-upload of the video to Twitter as one inciting incident, with the caption, “When I tasted the cum for the first time.”
When I tasted the cum for the first time pic.twitter.com/8HMGkvz1Zz— 3 (@PopstarDave) August 9, 2019
From there, she became the face of uncertainty and indecision.
Looking at myself naked in the mirror pic.twitter.com/qtAJympbBi— lil adam (@MaxxAtom) August 11, 2019
“Let’s go out tonight”— Kara 🖤 (@KaraKempp) August 12, 2019
Hanging out with a Capricorn the first 3 times & then the 4th pic.twitter.com/dp1SeoL5fx— Astro Poets (@poetastrologers) August 12, 2019
The woman, Dallas-based Brittany Tomlinson, tells the Daily Dot that it’s been quite the trip: “Being viral is crazy, dude. You know how there’s like ‘April 2019, May 2019’ memes of the month? I’m deadass August 2019 and it’s blowing my mind.”
Still, she says the reactions and comments have been positive, and that “making people laugh has always been a joy of mine and now I’m literally making the whole world laugh and my heart is FULL.” And yes, she still thinks kombucha is “kinda nasty,” but “in a good way.”
While the kombucha clip went viral, Tomlinson has other relatable TikToks.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.