- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Today 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Today 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Today 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Today 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Today 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
If you’ve never checked out “Humans of New York,” you definitely should. Photographer Brandon Stanton takes pictures of people around the city and posts a short story or quote from his subjects. The results can be inspiring, funny or heartbreaking, depending on who he met that day. Like this man who recently moved to New York City to follow his dream… oh and also because his roommate was possessed by a demon.
“I wouldn’t be here if my roommate hadn’t been possessed by a demon. It all started one night when our upstairs neighbor tried to commit suicide by cutting open his chest. I knew then something dark was going on. But my roommate seemed fine. He was a volunteer firefighter..." pic.twitter.com/E0xV84jAZt— Brandon Stanton (@humansofny) April 4, 2019
Here’s the full story as posted to the Humans of New York site:
I wouldn’t be here if my roommate hadn’t been possessed by a demon. It all started one night when our upstairs neighbor tried to commit suicide by cutting open his chest. I knew then something dark was going on. But my roommate seemed fine. He was a volunteer firefighter. I lived with him for six years. No problems. Then one night he comes home with a new tattoo. It was a picture of the devil having sex with a gagged girl. He’s like: ‘Isn’t this cool?’ And I’m like: ‘No, man. That’s not cool.’ Then at 4:30 the next morning I woke up to screaming. I ran out of my bedroom and found him thrashing around in the kitchen. He was slamming into cupboards and knocking over dishes. The whole time he’s screaming: ‘He’s mine! He’s mine!’ I knew he owned a gun so I locked myself in the bedroom. The next morning he didn’t remember a thing, but I wasn’t taking any chances. I moved out that day. It felt like a good time to finally move to New York and follow my dreams.
“The first 3/4 of this story is from a horror movie, the last quarter is from a rom com,” one person commented on Facebook. “Sounds more like meth than the Devil, to be honest,” wrote another.
Twitter was equally as impressed.
that was a roller coaster from start to finish— catarina (@catkalt) April 4, 2019
Okay but we need go hear the roommate’s side of the story.— SunlightDreamer.com (@Cerebralle) April 5, 2019
[email protected] (@ShiroKage001) April 5, 2019
Several people also felt like the man telling the story and the roommate might be one and the same.
I was asking myself the same thing.?— EndHomo/Trans/Biphobia (@Theblakflower) April 5, 2019
Since there is a guitar sitting next to the man in the photo, we can assume the dream he’s following is to become a famous musician. He definitely has some great material for song lyrics.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.